Salt Plains Controlled Hunt

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I drew a hunt for Great Salt Plains this year. I have tried contacting both the Wildlife Refuge Headquarters and the Biologist in that region. However, they seem to be horrible at responding to their emails. I am trying to figure out if we will be assigned to regions to hunt. If not I would like to know so I can start planning my maps and what not. Any input would be greatly appreciated. My hunt is an either sex archery hunt 10-14 through 10-17.

You will be assigned an area. As you drive by salt plains, you see all of these fed refuge signs. On the other side that can be seen from inside the refuge, there will be a letter on it.
When you get there you will get your area assignment and there will be a overhead photo of the refuge. When it comes time to ask one of the guys that work there where the best place would be to hunt within your area, listen closely. They are there every day.
Good luck.

ethanw08

New to the site!
Reaction score
You will be assigned an area. As you drive by salt plains, you see all of these fed refuge signs. On the other side that can be seen from inside the refuge, there will be a letter on it.
When you get there you will get your area assignment and there will be a overhead photo of the refuge. When it comes time to ask one of the guys that work there where the best place would be to hunt within your area, listen closely. They are there every day.
Good luck.

Thanks dennis, do you get one area for the whole hunt or do they rotate areas? if so is there an area that i should request to see if i can be sat in that area? since it may be better than others? sorry for the questions i am just very curious as i want to have the best hunt i possibly can as i have found out it is entirely rare to draw this hunt.

ethanw08

New to the site!
Reaction score
ethanw08, I will be up there the 14-16 for a youth hunt on my friends land. He's the fish Bio. at the hatchery. PM me and I'll give u my number and maybe he can help, if it's not too late for ya. Jimmy

surjimmy, i do not know how to send private messages, any help would be greatly appreciated and no it is not too late lol

Lugie

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
If any of you guys are pulling a travel trailer up to Salt Plains, my parents have the Four Seasons RV park in Nescatunga. It is right on the main highway 38. About 3 miles from the wildlife reserve headquarters. It has water, electric and sewer hookups for very reasonable rates. Give them a call if you need a spot to park. 580-548-3365

DreamingMan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'll be up there for the same weekend, but I am on the category 4 (disabled) hunt. We won't be in the same area, but I am super excited to be up there on the 11/11/11 weekend. I've been on three other hunts up there and saw plenty of deer each time. Good luck!

Dreaming Man

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I drew a hunt for Great Salt Plains this year. I have tried contacting both the Wildlife Refuge Headquarters and the Biologist in that region. However, they seem to be horrible at responding to their emails. I am trying to figure out if we will be assigned to regions to hunt. If not I would like to know so I can start planning my maps and what not. Any input would be greatly appreciated. My hunt is an either sex archery hunt 10-14 through 10-17.

The NWR office out there has been having problems with their Internet connection. Try calling them at (580) 626-4794 ext. 1

ETA:[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Bit late now, but maybe this will help in the future.[/FONT]

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks dennis, do you get one area for the whole hunt or do they rotate areas? if so is there an area that i should request to see if i can be sat in that area? since it may be better than others? sorry for the questions i am just very curious as i want to have the best hunt i possibly can as i have found out it is entirely rare to draw this hunt.
You get one area for the entire hunt. They will caution you about getting into somebody else's area. I've never requested any specific area. Usually tag out the first day of the hunt.

Latest posts

Top Bottom