Sandhill Crane Permit

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AER244

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
maybe the best tasting migrator. personally, id take most upland birds over a crane. cranes are hella better eating than geese though.

and that is odd that the license doesnt show in the "license shop", cuz it is still listed on the department website.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If one doesn't have access to private land and are going to rely on an outfitter to hunt cranes, get your big boy wallet out and expect it to be drained. The outfitters have taken over a lot of the habitat and aren't afraid to charge exorbitant prices.
Apparently, they don't have a problem filling their slots.

Dorkus

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If one doesn't have access to private land and are going to rely on an outfitter to hunt cranes, get your big boy wallet out and expect it to be drained. The outfitters have taken over a lot of the habitat and aren't afraid to charge exorbitant prices.
I have shot all of mine on public land but you are correct.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Rib eye on the sky. You’ll never taste anything better that flys.

We grilled a bunch at a get together once and didn't tell our wives, we just asked them how they wanted their steaks cooked. All of them commented on how good it was lol. All of us there don't buy store bought beef either, so the crane passed the ultimate taste test.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The crane outfitter I know in Alfalfa county charges $800/day or $2250 for three days with a minimum of 6 hunters required. I’d like to hunt them once, but I’m not willing to pay the price.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Hey, outfitters have to make payments don their $70k pickup somehow...
When the guy who got shot in the guts in Northern Oklahoma a few years ago while hunting with a crane guide, one of my good friends was on that same hunt. That pretty much sealed the deal for me never going with a guide, and him too lol. He's a former Marine, 2x to Afghanistan, he said the hunt was kind of a cluster, and of course he was the only one out the the 20 people in the blind who knew what to do after the incident happened.

I'll just wait for them to land on place where I can hunt them, which they do about every other year or so.

Latest posts

Top Bottom