Satanic Monument At the State Capitol

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mons meg

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Why, because we want to abide by the Constitution?

Wanting the 10 Commandments removed (and all other religious monuments denied) isn't about the content within those commandments, it's about the Government blatantly endorsing one (well, the few that follow the 10 Commandments) religion over another. Just because it's aligns with your particular religion, even if that religion is the majority in this state, does not excuse the constitutional violation.

Supporting Satanic and Hindu monuments being displayed on Government property isn't a personal endorsement of those religions, either, it's simply a personal endorsement of the idea that "what's fair is fair". The Government should remain completely secular, and the only two ways to do this are to allow all religions their monuments or allow none at all, with the latter being the most effective and efficient way, obviously.

So, we should take a chisel to the frescoes on the SCOTUS building in DC, too?

Danny Tanner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So, we should take a chisel to the frescoes on the SCOTUS building in DC, too?

If they represent all religions and lack thereof, then no. If they don't represent all religions and lack thereof, but DC allows future frescoes covering the remainder, then no. If they only represent a few religions and requests for representation of all remaining religions and the lack thereof, then yes.

Again, the Constitution is not up for debate and it's not up for a vote, it clearly states that the Government cannot endorse one religion over another. Endorse all, or endorse none.

sanjuro893

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
WAAHHHHHH!!!!! THOSE CHRISTIANS ARE BULLYING US AGAIN BY PUTTING THEIR SYMBOLS WHERE WE CAN SEE THEM!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Van_Orden_v._Perry

In this ruling, a state CAN promote an idea or monument that is religious in nature if it has historical and social context. It just can’t prosecute people or tax or otherwise persecute them based on religious differences. Nor does the definition of the 1st amendment mean that each religion gets equal representation in the state. So if Oklahoma puts up a statue of the 10 commandments on public property and refuses to put up a statue of a pentagram or a statue of “do what thou wilt” or Zeus or Ganesh, it may not be “fair” or “equal”, but it’s still Constitutional as long as it has historical value. Since most of Oklahoma's laws WERE set up following the Judeo-Christian tradition, (after all, it was 1907) I would say the historical context is easy to see. The representation of satanists in our state history, not so much.

By the way, on practically every Oklahoma license plate there’s a picture of an American Indian shooting an arrow into the sky to bring the rain which is from local American Indian religious beliefs. That’s not a state endorsement of that particular belief system, but reflecting historical context. In addition, I just got back from a viking? runestone in a (until recently) state run park. Vikings MAY have been here and rune-stones were part of their religious beliefs, but there seems to be no issue from the satanists about that particular faith being represented by the state. Nor are those same people suing the state over a license plate. Since all you pagans and atheists haven't done anything for me lately, you can start by pulling your thumbs out of your mouths, stop acting like babies and kissing my crucifix. That statue doesn't hurt you or your beliefs (non-beliefs) in the least.

ignerntbend

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
WAAHHHHHH!!!!! THOSE CHRISTIANS ARE BULLYING US AGAIN BY PUTTING THEIR SYMBOLS WHERE WE CAN SEE THEM!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Van_Orden_v._Perry

In this ruling, a state CAN promote an idea or monument that is religious in nature if it has historical and social context. .
I am in near-complete agreement with this. Alot of this stuff should be grandfathered. "In God We Trust" on the money is one example. Fossil language is 83% ok with me.

When my dear aunt invites me to dinner, and my uncle says grace, I bow my head more deeply than the next guy.

n8thegr8

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
" Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances."

Where does the idea that a state governmental entity can't "endorse" a particular religion come from?

Lynx

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
No matter my feelings, the law is the law.

And this is the crux of the problem. Man's law superceding God's Law. You state you are Christian. Whose Law did Christ follow? And because he didn't follow man's law, he was put to death. And everyone (including me) on this forum, fearing for their security, is playing it safe and obeying man's laws (which ironically we created as though we were gods) so that we can live. And as such, we are now dead in the eyes of God as we broke his commands of forgetting he is the only true God and that we are not to idolize other gods (the Constitution, the flag, the pledge, the government, the military, the police, etc.). A deceived man knows not that he is deceived. :)

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
And this is the crux of the problem. Man's law superceding God's Law. You state you are Christian. Whose Law did Christ follow? And because he didn't follow man's law, he was put to death. And everyone (including me) on this forum, fearing for their security, is playing it safe and obeying man's laws (which ironically we created as though we were gods) so that we can live. And as such, we are now dead in the eyes of God as we broke his commands of forgetting he is the only true God and that we are not to idolize other gods (the Constitution, the flag, the pledge, the government, the military, the police, etc.). A deceived man knows not that he is deceived. :)

Christ also taught to follow the laws of the nation, as long as it didn't conflict with God's law, i.e., "render unto Ceasar."

Last time I checked, American law still allowed me to go to church and worship as I saw fit. Not much of anything under American law thus far prevents me from following God's law. Yes, there are some laws that allow people to do things against God's law, but I am hard-pressed at the moment to think of something forbidden that God's law explicitly states one should do. I am sure there may be some out there, but after this workweek and just getting off work, I'm not remembering any offhand. Someone will surely come in and correct me rather quickly. lol.

Latest posts

Top Bottom