Satanic Monument At the State Capitol

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lynx

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Christ also taught to follow the laws of the nation, as long as it didn't conflict with God's law, i.e., "render unto Ceasar."

Last time I checked, American law still allowed me to go to church and worship as I saw fit. Not much of anything under American law thus far prevents me from following God's law. Yes, there are some laws that allow people to do things against God's law, but I am hard-pressed at the moment to think of something forbidden that God's law explicitly states one should do. I am sure there may be some out there, but after this workweek and just getting off work, I'm not remembering any offhand. Someone will surely come in and correct me rather quickly. lol.

So Caesar owns the intellectual property rights on the idea of law? And Caesar owns the land he rules? And Caesar owns the air he breathes? A deceived man knows not that he is deceived. :)

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
So Caesar owns the intellectual property rights on the idea of law? And Caesar owns the land he rules? And Caesar owns the air he breathes? A deceived man knows not that he is deceived. :)

Sorry... you're a bit far out there for me, man. Especially at this stage of my day/week/Scotch consumption. :/

Have a good one.

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
" Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances."

Where does the idea that a state governmental entity can't "endorse" a particular religion come from?

The 10 Commandments at the Oklahoma Capitol are in clear violation of the Oklahoma Bill of Rights - particularly Article II Section 5:

"No public money or property shall ever be appropriated, applied, donated, or used, directly or indirectly, for the use, benefit, or support of any sect, church, denomination, or system of religion, or for the use, benefit, or support of any priest, preacher, minister, or other religious teacher or dignitary, or sectarian institution as such."

Remember, states have Constitutions, too.

Lynx

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Sorry... you're a bit far out there for me, man. Especially at this stage of my day/week/Scotch consumption. :/

Have a good one.

Simple answer then: God created everything. E-v-e-r-y-t-h-i-n-g. Including Caesar. And you. And me. The planet. The air. The universe. The water. The land. It is all God's. Every molecule, atom and quark. All His. Caesar owns nothing. I own nothing. You own nothing. "We the people" own nothing. Since Caesar owns nothing, nothing is due to Caesar. Jesus was saying give nothing to Caesar. Give to the rightful owner---> God. A deceived man knows not that he is deceived. :)

sanjuro893

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The 10 Commandments at the Oklahoma Capitol are in clear violation of the Oklahoma Bill of Rights - particularly Article II Section 5:

"No public money or property shall ever be appropriated, applied, donated, or used, directly or indirectly, for the use, benefit, or support of any sect, church, denomination, or system of religion, or for the use, benefit, or support of any priest, preacher, minister, or other religious teacher or dignitary, or sectarian institution as such."

Remember, states have Constitutions, too.

I can't argue with that as long as that statue was paid for with public money.

But I don't think that's the case:
http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2013/12/09/satanists-we-want-a-monument-in-oklahoma/comment-page-26/

From the article: "Oklahoma legislators voted to erect the Ten Commandments monument in 2009, using private funds donated by Rep. Mike Rietz, a surgeon and Southern Baptist deacon."

JB Books

Shooter Emeritus
Special Hen
Reaction score
" Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances."

Where does the idea that a state governmental entity can't "endorse" a particular religion come from?

I hope this is not a serious question. It's a little thing called the Supremacy Clause. Federal Law trumps state law. A state cannot make a law that violates federal law or the Constitution. They try to, as in our own Legislature's multiple attempts to pass abortion related bills, but those laws are struck down.

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can't argue with that as long as that statue was paid for with public money.

But I don't think that's the case:
http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2013/12/09/satanists-we-want-a-monument-in-oklahoma/comment-page-26/

From the article: "Oklahoma legislators voted to erect the Ten Commandments monument in 2009, using private funds donated by Rep. Mike Rietz, a surgeon and Southern Baptist deacon."

The monument is displayed on public property, therefore public property is being used for the support of a system of religion.

Or was the location where the monument is displayed sold to a private entity?

JB Books

Shooter Emeritus
Special Hen
Reaction score
Simple answer then: God created everything. E-v-e-r-y-t-h-i-n-g. Including Caesar. And you. And me. The planet. The air. The universe. The water. The land. It is all God's. Every molecule, atom and quark. All His. Caesar owns nothing. I own nothing. You own nothing. "We the people" own nothing. Since Caesar owns nothing, nothing is due to Caesar. Jesus was saying give nothing to Caesar. Give to the rightful owner---> God. A deceived man knows not that he is deceived. :)

Aside from the snarkiness of "you're deceived," what are you trying to say? Your statement makes no sense. Christ certainly was not saying, "give nothing to Caesar." You are twisting scripture to fit your viewpoint.

JB Books

Shooter Emeritus
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's really pretty simple, either display multiple monuments, or none at all. That's the law. I, personally, don't like it, but there are lots of laws I don't like.

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not related but close. I saw an old interview yesterday that Larry King had done with Elvis Presleys last girlfriend Ginger Alden and one of the things she talked about was how Elvis besides being a life long God fearing Christian was also into reading Eastern religions, the Koran, etc. He always wore a cross but also a small buddha on a chain, an Egyptian Ankh, and several other religious symbols all at the same time. His reasoning was he simply just wanted to cover his bases in case one of them was right.

Latest posts

Top Bottom