Satanic Monument At the State Capitol

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uncle money bags

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I guess my question is really this. If what I consider to be moral happens to coincide with what a religious document also says is moral, how do I convince some one it is moral without offending their notions on religion?

For example, I think the big "A" is immoral and tantamount to murder. I can see where the LIFE of the mother could trump the baby's life if a choice had to be made on one or the other. I believe life starts at conception, and killing a human is, well killing a human. Without extenuating circumstances where one life threatens the life of another I think that killing should be held as wrong. I have this belief outside of whatever a religion would teach me. For me it just makes sense.

BTW, I apologize for the semi off topic post. No intention to derail the thread more than it already has.

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I guess my question is really this. If what I consider to be moral happens to coincide with what a religious document also says is moral, how do I convince some one it is moral without offending their notions on religion?

For example, I think the big "A" is immoral and tantamount to murder. I can see where the LIFE of the mother could trump the baby's life if a choice had to be made on one or the other. I believe life starts at conception, and killing a human is, well killing a human. Without extenuating circumstances where one life threatens the life of another I think that killing should be held as wrong. I have this belief outside of whatever a religion would teach me. For me it just makes sense.

BTW, I apologize for the semi off topic post. No intention to derail the thread more than it already has.

I think this is one issue at the heart of the matter. I'd suggest that 1) do you really need a monument to show others what you believe? 2) would that monument really accomplish anything in terms of convincing another person that your beliefs are correct and 3) can't those beliefs be conveyed in another form all together without referencing a religious document?

As was discussed earlier in this thread, if this monument was only to serve as a reminder for things like 'murder is bad' then why did they need all 10 of the commandments included? Why are the things like "honor no God above me" included in a monument that is supposed to be non-religious?

Latest posts

Top Bottom