Savage Model 42 Survival Rifle?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brandi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've wanted one of those from the first time I saw it. The only thing I really would like, and I don't know if it can or can't, is break down to be carried in two pieces. A 12 gauge/.223 combo would be awesome also.

Raoul Duke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Somewhere in the stillborn state of Sequoyah
I've wanted one of those from the first time I saw it. The only thing I really would like, and I don't know if it can or can't, is break down to be carried in two pieces. A 12 gauge/.223 combo would be awesome also.

You can still find old Model 24's, which is what this is based on. They made all kinds of different chambering combinations. I think they might have had that one. The camper model 24 did break down and came with a carry bag, don't know if it was offered in that combo though. For the MSRP Savage is asking for one of these, if I were in the market, I'd be more likely to try that route instead. Now if the Model 42 had a MSRP in the $300 range, I might reconsider.

Savage might be really proud of these, but I don't see anything about it that makes me believe it should be higher priced than a new low end 10/22 or Mossberg Maverick pump. For what they are are asking, I could pick up a Maverick and a 10/22 and be reasonably confident I could get what I had in 'em back if I decided to get rid of them. The Model 42, at MSRP, not so much.

Raoul Duke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
very nice! Id love to get my daughter one! Its like two, two, two guns in one! LOL!

That was my impression, that this would be a good firearm for introducing younger or newbie shooters to the fundamentals of shotguns and rifles while teaching them about the differences between the two in one package. Not to mention, easing their adjustment to the noise and recoil of firearms due to the lower levels these operate at. I think the Model 42 would be a good teaching tool.

Raoul Duke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The idea is pretty cool. But I'd feel much better off with a single shot 12 or 20 gauge with a .22 tube adapter.

http://www.gunadapters.com/products/12-gauge-to-22-mag--Shotgun-adapter.html

Cool concept, but after watching that video, what I really wanna know is, did they get that Pardner in the bag with the 10/22???

If so, that is one pretty slick set-up. Those Pardners can be picked up pretty cheap, too.

Any idea of what those adapters are going for and what kind of lifespan or how reliable they are?

Last edited by a moderator:

okietom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would get the Rossi combo that has a shotgun barrel and a .22 barrel. I think they may have a triple combo with a .22, shotgun, and center fire rifle barrel.