Savage Model 42 Survival Rifle?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wheel Gun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't own a shotgun. I'm not a bird hunter or a skeet shooter and gave my splatter guns to my nephews years ago.

If/when the SHTF and grocery stores go empty, I could see the need for a shotgun. My go-to small game getter will be my Contender and its .22lr match barrel. I shoot IHMSA small bore silhouette with that gun and it would effectively bring home rabbits and squirrels. But, quail do taste better than squirrels.

When looking at the guns mentioned in the thread, I hovered over that Baikal 94 for a while. Assuming that I'm bugging in and scouring SE Logan County for small game to augment my stores, I could see how it would work well in that scenario. I like the 12 gauge over 7.62X39. (My Mini-30 eats the 7.62 and that would let me share ammo.) I found one on Gun Broker last week, but didn't do anything about it. I may pick one of those up someday. With my target .22 pistol and a combo shotgun/rifle, I'd be equipped pretty well for game scouring.

Mike_60

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Personally, If I ever was in a situation of need I don't plan on hunting or fishing at all, I'll be running traps, snares, and nets. So, if something is shot, it would be because it was a target of opportunity I crossed paths with.