SB Hunters Pistol?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

willystruck

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is anyone in N.E. Okla running NRA small bore hunters pistol matches? I haven't shot in many years and would like to find a match to play at on occasion. Still got my pistols, not sure if I can find an old score book or not. From what I've been able to find, it seems like Shilouette (sp) has died.

Frank aka willystruck

rockon71385

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't know of anyone doing the NRA style matches, but that doesn't mean they're not happening. Could you tell me a little about these matches? I've never heard of them. What's the shooting like, and what kind of pistols do you use?

USPSA and Steel Challenge are a blast if you ever want to come out and shoot with us. There are plenty of those matches around the state. Just post here on the forums if you'd like more info on those. I'd love to hear about the NRA style matches too.

No.343

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Frank,
Check out the IHMSA matches. They have them in OKCGC. Jim Fiedls runs those matches. I don't know if they still have them in Tri-City or not.

willystruck

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't know of anyone doing the NRA style matches, but that doesn't mean they're not happening. Could you tell me a little about these matches? I've never heard of them. What's the shooting like, and what kind of pistols do you use?

USPSA and Steel Challenge are a blast if you ever want to come out and shoot with us. There are plenty of those matches around the state. Just post here on the forums if you'd like more info on those. I'd love to hear about the NRA style matches too.

They were pretty popular during the late 80's and throughout the 90's. 10 steel chickens at 25 meters, 10 steel pigs at 50 meters, 10 steel turkeys at 75 meters and 10 steel rams at 100 meters. 40 round match shot in standing position. 5 classifications from B to master. Most animals down won classification or match.
Typically 2 matches with small bore (.22), 1 open site and 1 scoped. Also 2 Large bore matches with heavier targets. Open site pistols were almost anything you can imagine. A lot of Rugers and Buckmarks, occasional revolver or unscoped contender, especially in big bore. Scope matches were usually contenders with rifle scopes mounted.
I used to have a lot of fun with this. Matches were shot at Happy Hollow and I think Red Castle.
Thanks for asking. I haven't shot in a match since I moved to Grove in the late 90's. Would love to find one within reasonable driving distance so I could get back into it. Maybe I'll have to call Don at Happy Hollow and see if he still has the targets and stands.

willystruck

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Frank,
Check out the IHMSA matches. They have them in OKCGC. Jim Fiedls runs those matches. I don't know if they still have them in Tri-City or not.

I know IHMSA was being shot at the same time. A little different but somewhat similar. OKC is a long ways from Grove. Hard to justify the $ for gas in addition to ammo.
Thanks for reminding me of that option.
Frank

Latest posts

Top Bottom