Scattergun Tech TR870 ... round in chamber or not?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you carry an Remington 870 with round in chamber or not?

• trust my safety and always carry 870 with round in chamber

Votes: 43 55.8%
  • don't trust safeties and never carry 870 with round in chamber

Votes: 34 44.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ttown

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Empty slide racked without a shell and safety on. My Glock is the first line of defense and I'd rather not face my shotgun if I walk in on someone so I want them to have to make a little effort to shot me :) Really a shotgun in the bedroom is going to be slow no mater if it's got a round in the chamber or not, now my CCW gun and surefire are right their ready to rock and roll and always by my side.

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I dont have a shotgun for HD, but I do make a "Chhh Chhh" noise when I hear people in my house.

Yes, I do the hand maneuver too, like Air Shotgun.

Kidding... if cruiser safe is pulling trigger after the chamber is empty (dont know how else to describe it and didnt feel like reading everyone's banter about proper carrying) then I keep my 870 cruiser safe.

Comte DeLoach

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So for all of you that believe the sound of racking the shotgun would scare a tweaked out meth head cracker away, I assume you would also say the same for racking the slide on a pistol too?

I think you have been watching way too many movies....

I can understand the safety aspect of trying to protect children, etc, but the whole idea that pumping a shotgun scares someone away is an over rated myth, if they are stupid enough to kick your door in, in the middle of the night, they are stupid enough to ignore any sound they hear on the way to inflict harm on you. Plus in my house they couldn't hear anything as the alarm would be going off from the door being kicked in....

Something to think about, in my house it is about 50 feet from the front door to my bedroom, from the time someone kicked in the front door, raising me out of a sound sleep, getting to my bedroom is a very short amount of time, I have no desire to screw around with loading a round into anything in the very short time I would be reacting to this situation.

Nope, the sound of a racking shotgun will make people stop in their tracks. I have seen it and used it to stop a bar fight once at Fort Polk, LA. It does work.

langston302

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nope, the sound of a racking shotgun will make people stop in their tracks. I have seen it and used it to stop a bar fight once at Fort Polk, LA. It does work.

there is one key word here.....ONCE.....my experience lends to the other theory that it is not a as effective as one would want to believe. Just my humble .02.

dugby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I keep HD pistol loaded in the chamber, don't have a HD shotgun.

As to the noise of shotgun racking and it's effect, A retired detective told me a very funny story about a bad guy confrontation where the sound was employed.

They had this armed bad guy surrounded on a small creek in a city park, but were not sure exactly where he was. Several of the officers were on this little bridge thing over the creek and decided to simultaneuosly rack all their shotguns hoping he would give up. a couple of seconds of silence followed and then the Bad Guy racked his own shotgun from some bushes a few feet away. As my friend told it the little bridge was cleared of officers rather quickly.

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Guess we can add that to the list of magical things the sound of racking a shotgun can do.

#256 Stops Bar fights in Fort Polk, LA

ExSniper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Guess we can add that to the list of magical things the sound of racking a shotgun can do.

#256 Stops Bar fights in Fort Polk, LA

When I took basic at Ft Polk during the VietNam era it was the firing of a 12 gauge that stopped the bar fights. Surviving Leesville was excellent training for going to war.:fullauto:

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I keep HD pistol loaded in the chamber, don't have a HD shotgun.

As to the noise of shotgun racking and it's effect, A retired detective told me a very funny story about a bad guy confrontation where the sound was employed.

They had this armed bad guy surrounded on a small creek in a city park, but were not sure exactly where he was. Several of the officers were on this little bridge thing over the creek and decided to simultaneuosly rack all their shotguns hoping he would give up. a couple of seconds of silence followed and then the Bad Guy racked his own shotgun from some bushes a few feet away. As my friend told it the little bridge was cleared of officers rather quickly.

#257 Clearing police officers from a small bridge.

Latest posts

Top Bottom