School me on electric smokers...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Bored Cabin Fever GIF

bigb159

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Masterbuilt is the no-fuss electric set-and-forget smoker for the guy who wants to set a temp and a timer and forget until dinner time. They tend to fail after a year or so - get a good warranty or just plan on replacing.

I had a Char Griller (same concept, got for $50 clearance) and used to smoke ribs on my no-barbecues-allowed apartment deck. I had to replace the heating element three times, but the landlord left me alone and the neighbors' mouths were watering every Sunday afternoon.

Pellet smokers will give you better smoke flavor, of course you get the best results from an offset, but only after you've oversmoked and/burned a dozen butts.

The propane Masterbuilt is an interesting concept I had not considered. Less issues with heating element means more longevity, and when the next monster storm hits, you've got options for bigger chunks of meat. I wonder what the propane usage looks like.

ForsakenConservative

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Everyone talking up the Masterbuilt stuff inspired some troubleshooting…..turns out the heating element shorted somehow, causing the house’s exterior GFI to trip the moment it was plugged in. $20 replacement from amazon seems to have it working again. Once it cools off I’ll get the last of the parts reinstalled and let the better-half give it a go. I still call B.S. for a failure after 3 uses, though…….

T. MIKE SMITH

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a Masterbuilt - prob the cheapest one they make- It cooks ok but the smoke always turns out less than I like- I shopped amazon and found it for $100 4 years ago or so- heat element went bad this year, and I got a new one off amazon for $35. I like electric cause it gets it done without having to add more charcoal or such as that. I did do a slab of ribs on my Charcoaler by putting them on the top rack with a foil turkey size pan under them with water and nice layer of coals with some hickory chunks - they actually turned out better than ribs I have done any other way.

Latest posts

Top Bottom