Scope recommendation?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm going to buy my dad a scope for Christmas. He is a big Leupold fan. He needs a scope for his Browning BAR in 243. He already has a nice set of 1" bases/rings. I was thinking a 3-9X50 in either Vari-X ii or Vari-x iii. I know they also offer a 4.5-14X50 in the iii model or a 4-12X50 in the ii model, either of which might be pretty nice as well. Anyone's input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

angsniper

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I'm going to buy my dad a scope for Christmas. He is a big Leupold fan. He needs a scope for his Browning BAR in 243. He already has a nice set of 1" bases/rings. I was thinking a 3-9X50 in either Vari-X ii or Vari-x iii. I know they also offer a 4.5-14X50 in the iii model or a 4-12X50 in the ii model, either of which might be pretty nice as well. Anyone's input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Between those two scopes I would go with the iii model. The glass is better in my opinion.

ENC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They are all good choices just remember with a 50mm objective the rings may not be high enough.

I always like the 3-9 or 4-12 range.

Evan

Leadlobber

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm not a big fan of 50mm obj. ,just not necessary in my opinion. Save some cash and get any of the scopes you mentioned in a 40mm. The x3's give you nicer adjustments for wind and elevation. My go to deer rifle wears a 2.5 X 8 , I have heard good things about the 3.5 X 10 but that's one I do not have.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm not a big fan of 50mm obj. ,just not necessary in my opinion. Save some cash and get any of the scopes you mentioned in a 40mm. The x3's give you nicer adjustments for wind and elevation. My go to deer rifle wears a 2.5 X 8 , I have heard good things about the 3.5 X 10 but that's one I do not have.

Good info. I always thought the reason for the 50mm objective was to get a bigger field of view, but according to their stats, the 40's and 50's have the same FOV at a given magnification. What's up with that??

TJay74

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Larger Objective Is For Light Gathering, Meaning The 50mm Should Have A Brighter Sight Picture Than Say A 40mm Objective In Any Given Lighting Situation.

At Least That Is What I Understand When I Was Doing My Scope Research.

THE JOKER

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
angsniper,
Thanks for the response. I only have one VX3 and it does seem noticeably better than my VX2's.

The new VXIIs have upgraded coatings.The VXIII has diamond coat which resists scratching.The VX3 has darkened edges.I have a VXII and a VXIII both 50's and I can't tell much,if any difference in low light hunting situations.The Leupold flip covers would look nice on that BAR

SoonerShots

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a 4.5 X 14 X 50mm VX III with a Boone and Crocket Ret... Its been fantastic. It extends my morning and evening hunting times a great deal. Last but not least, you can't beat the warranty..

Good Luck on your search

Latest posts

Top Bottom