Scotch

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Plinker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nice choice, Oban! Another you might try one day is Talisker. Made on the Isle of Skye it's another of the Classic Six. Unique!

I recently found a Japanese single malt for less than $30, and my wife asked me what I was waiting for so I bought a bottle. I love that woman...
Yamazaki 12yo was surprisingly good. It reminded me of a smoother Glenlivet, which has always tasted a bit 'green' or not-quite-ready to me. I've only had one glass of the Y12, so my experience is by no means set in stone.

guns are dumb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Drink scotch like bourbon? neat or on the rocks?

I've been told that beginners shouldn't buy Isley scotches, I like them myself, but I can see where these people are coming from. I really like most scotch, but some of the Isley's do have an iodine taste, some people say they taste like bandaids - Lagavulin 16 Yr for one.

I don't know if you would like it, but Dalwhinnie is awesome (I think), it's pretty light and has a huge floral bouquet when just a few drops of water are added.

Again, these are all in the $35 - $50 price range.

Either way you can't lose. I take it neat or very little ice. Never have understood why people want to water it down.

I think it really depends on the whiskey, like I said, the Quarter Cask I just didn't like without some water, it felt like I was trying to drink baby oil it was so oily.

eby42

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oban is very good. My favorite "down to earth" malt so far is probably Cragganmore 12 year. Very good for the money ($30-40)

Someone was generous enough to give me a bottle Glenlivet Archive 21 year for graduation last week...haven't had a chance to try any yet but looking forward to it.

guns are dumb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oban is very good. My favorite "down to earth" malt so far is probably Cragganmore 12 year. Very good for the money ($30-40)

Someone was generous enough to give me a bottle Glenlivet Archive 21 year for graduation last week...haven't had a chance to try any yet but looking forward to it.

...so you wanted to invite us all over to try that one right?

Hawgman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’ve been into the single malt thing for several months now. Have nailed down a couple Islay’s I’m happy with and discovered one or two I don’t. Now I want to branch out. I’m looking to go the other end of the spectrum. I’ve heard of these Highland and Speyside types that are aged in casks that were previously used to age sherry or port in. I’ve hear they make for a smooth but also sweeter and somewhat fruity character.

So, I’m looking for advice and input on a single malt that’s sherry or port cask aged that’s smooth, somewhat sweet and fruity. No more than $50 a bottle and more like $30 to $40 would be better. Also locally available in the OKC area.
Thanks.

Captain Mike

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I picked up a bottle of glenmorangie lasanta at Tinker 3 weeks ago for about 35 bucks I think. It is aged in a bourbon cask for ten years, then aged again in a sherry cask. Very tasty. Try some and let me know what you think.

Latest posts

Top Bottom