Scrap lead for casting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've got a neighbor friend who is in some sort of demolition/haz materials clean up business, and he gets lots of it from large window weights and all manner of other things. He's given me some - might have to hit him up for some more.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Are wheel weights still harder than lead? used to be what you used to load the faster cartridges.

Yes, they are. From the reading I've done lead w/w are great for handgun bullet casting. Air cooled they work great for loads around 1000fps and under. Faster or magnum loading that need a little harder alloy the same w/w alloy can be water quenched or heat treated to increase its hardness.

ryanncass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
try calling the hospitals they have lead that medicine is shipped in. I dont know what they do with it but worth a shot.
This is the lead they get.
ai43.photobucket.com_albums_e363_Ryanncass_DSCN2729.jpg

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Also if you keep an eye out on ebay you can find bars of tin and antimony occassionally for the cheap.
I bought a bulk lot a while back, this comes in handy when you can get pure lead and need to harden it up a bit.

Latest posts

Top Bottom