Seattle autonomous zone

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

45 shooter

Marksman
Reaction score
I could be wrong but if you set up an independent nation inside these here United States of America doesn't that make it a federal problem and to heck with what any city government or state government has to say?
Well, any idiot can stand on his own front porch and scream to the world that he is declaring himself an independent nation. That doesn't automatically mean the feds should swoop in and deal with it on each and every occasion.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Mouse That Roared

Declare war on the U.S. then give up and get rebuilt as a ally.

On a lighter note

"Hallo, President Trump, " a heavily accented voice said. "This is Archie, up ‘ere at the Harp Seal Pub in Badger's Cove, Newfoundland, Canada, eh? I am callin' to tells ya dat we are officially declaring war on ya!"

"Well Archie," Donald said, "This is indeed important news! How big is your army?" "Right now," said Archie, after a moments calculation "there is myself, me cousin Harold , me next-door-neighbor Mick, and the whole dart team from the pub. That makes eight!"

Donald paused. "I must tell you Archie that I have one million men in my army waiting to move on my command."

"Wow," said Archie. "I'll have at call ya back!"

Sure enough, the next day, Archie called again. "Mr. Trump, the war is still on! We have managed to acquire some infantry equipment! We have two combines, a bulldozer, and Harry 's farm tractor."

President Trump sighed. "I must tell you Archie, that I have 16,000 tanks and 14,000 armored personnel carriers. Also I've increased my army to one and a half million since we last spoke."

"Lord above," said Archie, "I'll be getting back to ya."

Sure enough, Archie rang again the next day.. "President Trump, the war is still on! We have managed to git ourselves airborne! We up an' modified Harrigan's ultra-light wit a couple of shotguns in the cockpit, and four boys from the Legion have joined us as well!"

Donald was silent for a minute and then cleared his throat. "I must tell you Archie that I have 10,000 bombers and 20,000 fighter planes. My military complex is surrounded by laser-guided, surface-to-air missile sites. And since we last spoke, I've increased my army to TWO MILLION!"

"Jumpins, Lord tunderin! Two million, ye say!!" said Archie, l'll have at call youse back." Sure enough, Archie called again the next day. "President Trump! I am sorry to have to tell you dat we have had to call off dis 'ere war."

"I'm glad to hear that" said Donald. "Why the sudden change of heart?"

“Well, sir," said Archie, "we've all sat ourselves down and had a long chat over a bunch of pints, and come to realize dat dere's no way we can feed two million prisoners."

bigred1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, any idiot can stand on his own front porch and scream to the world that he is declaring himself an independent nation. That doesn't automatically mean the feds should swoop in and deal with it on each and every occasion.
It wasn't one idiot on his own front porch. It was a bunch of idiots rioting and looting then taking over part of a major metropolitan city and local government doing nothing to stop the madness.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The aggrieved, in any major metropolitan downtown area, are going to be business owners. Very few people actually live in a central downtown region of a big city. I've heard several instances of business owners in the Seattle Chaz area complaining about loss or destruction of their property, but they don't get the attention of the mainstream media, so their stories are seldom heard.

I imagine you are correct. Certainly the local media is out there covering it. Last time I checked, business owners in every state have multiple options to address grievances; State and local Chambers of Commerce, city council, mayor's office, city cops, state cops, state legislature, state AG, Governor, Senators and House Reps etc...

There's a whole lot of daylight in between a local sandwich shop owner getting harassed by protesters and federal troops rolling in. Is there a conglomeration of these local business out there calling for federal relief? Any petitions, court cases? Any of the state or national congressional reps picking up the banner for them? Certainly we would hear something. Or do we just roll out the 82nd Airborne because there might be some local businesses in trouble?

The Greater Seattle Business Association reached out to CHAZ area businesses after the SPD reported rumors of extortion. There response was that nothing of the sort was happening:
https://twitter.com/GSBA/status/1271132476329431040

The Seattle Times also did some digging after the SPD walked back their extortion claims (the PD never received any complaints and has never investigated any such activity). It all started with a Canadian fake news outlet:

"Police walk back report that Capitol Hill protesters extorted businesses
The Seattle Police Department walked back its claim, widely repeated in the news media, that denizens of the Capitol Hill Autonomous Zone are extorting businesses.

"That has not happened affirmatively," Seattle Police Chief Carmen Best in a news conference Thursday afternoon, adding that the police department had based earlier claims on anecdotal reports, including in the news and on social media. "We haven't had any formal reports of this occurring."

That contradicts earlier statements from the police.

In a news conference Wednesday, Assistant Seattle Police Chief Deanna Nollette said police have heard from Capitol Hill community members that some protesters have asked business owners to pay a fee to operate in a roughly six-block area around the precinct. Best repeated the claim in a video address to officers Thursday morning.

The police narrative rang false to many in the Capitol Hill business community. Restaurant owners said they hadn't heard any reports of extortion in the Autonomous Zone. On the contrary: Sales are strong and the increase in walk-up business is cutting down on delivery costs.

"This protest has not hurt us at all," said Bok a Bok Chicken co-owner Brian O'Connor. When he came to the Autonomous Zone Wednesday, rather than extortion, he said he was met with an offer of a free bagel-and-cheese sandwich.

The claim seems to have gained traction after it was published in conservative blog The Post Millennial, in an article written by former Seattle City Council candidate Ari Hoffman. The article quoted unnamed police officers who alleged protesters were extorting businesses for protection money. Hoffman said his sources were "rock solid" and that he had first heard of the alleged extortion on conservative talk radio station AM 770 KTTH.

The claim was later repeated by a commenter under the name "Marcus S." on the Capitol Hill Seattle blog, and in a tweet by Andy Ngo, editor-at-large of The Post Millennial.

Apart from those sources, Christina Arrington, who heads the Capitol Hill branch of the Greater Seattle Business Association, said she has had "no other indications that this is taking place." The GSBA "found no evidence of this occurring," the group tweeted, based on conversations with area business."

This is a 100% local issue.

Latest posts

Top Bottom