Seeking advice on a major decision

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hard_r

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I say go ahead and move, find a job to make things more financially bearable and work hard to get your degree regardless of how long it takes.

I also think there will be more jobs that will work around school schedules over there. I've been trying here and have come up with diddly. Once I move and my wife is working and I'm in school, I would like to find something part time. The point is, no matter what, I can't keep my current job, which hasn't even been offered to me for next school year yet anyway and the way this place is losing money, I highly doubt I'd have a job anyway. But there would be no way for me to go to school if I did keep it, because I'm at the end of the night classes I can take for my degree choice. So I have to find a new job, why not do it there instead of here, I say.

hard_r

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not to be critical but now it sounds like you're going into it for the money.

Not sure how you got that from what I said, but that's in no way how I intended it. I said I want to do it because I love doing it, that I want to make school fun for the kids and get them involved and that teaching was an important job. Not sure how that means I'm in it for the money. I also said I'd rather love my job and make decent (read: Not great) money than to hate my job and have more money. To me none of this points to: I'm in it for the money. That would be silly, I know I'll never be rich in the education system. I grew up with teachers for parents. And IF it's a problem later, I plan on looking into administration. That way I stay in the field I love and have more control to make it better. And a side effect of that is: a little bit more money. It's still not rich people money. I know there's no money in education yet I still desire to be a part of it. I have a cousin that will make more right out of college than I will ever reach. So no, not in it for the money. Perhaps I came across wrong in the other post. If so, that was not my intention.

Istandalone

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sounds like you know what you want to do and you know the financial rewards of teaching and school administration. If you are really committed, your gradss will show it and you will have a better chance at employement once you get your teaching cert.

Going full time will help you build a network of other students and professors for future references.

Sounds like you have some type of support system in newkirk, which will help. If you could find a place between newkirk and stillwater and split the difference on mileage, you might be better off, but I don't know your situation.

It's not two years out of your life, it's two years of your life, make the most of it.

StanN

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been down that road. I didn't start back until after my first son was born. Bare down, dig your spurs in and get it done! You will never regret it! Good luck!

Bierhunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you can afford it, finish school while you can.

As an adult, it is extremely difficult to juggle work, family, and school. The longer you put it off, the harder it will get until you just quit school all together.

I've been working off and on for my degree for 20yrs now. I have way more than enough hours for a degree, but they don't all count. :(

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for your advise, really, all of you. This is a tough decision. It seems cut and dry out of context, but really it's hard.

It just seems hard because it is a change from what you have grown comfortable with.

And of course, all us other folks who have been there done that tend to forget the "woe is me" feeling we had back then.

All I know for sure is that it was much easier to go to school and work than it was to go to school, work and take care of kids. Like most things in my life I tended to put the cart before the horse. (And I paid dearly for it.) Don't have too many reqrets because my past made me the person I am today (and I like the person I am today much much more than the person I was in the past) but DANG ... I sure earned my grey hair the hard way ...

Like dustingaunder, I hope we see a post in a couple of years bragging about how you got 'er done!! :mosh:

ExSniper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A little sacrifice now for a big reward in less than two years? Sounds like the best option to me. I finished school at OSU in 3 1/2 years of attendance (heavy load and summer semesters) but it took me 12 years to do it. One year, a LOOOOOONG break, then 2 1/2 more to get it done.

Ask yourself this: Where will I be in two years if I do not go school? Probably right where you are now and two years older.

Latest posts

Top Bottom