Seized alignment bolts

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I always used heat as a last resort. It does work, but it also softens the metal (reduces the temper). And you can actually use a cutting torch and cut nuts off bolts without damaging the threads (if you use yer torch a lot). ;)

Of course it's a moot point if you're replacing the fastener anyway.
:drunk2:
I remember the first time I saw a "cooked on" bearing race torched off an axle shaft. I learned there's no point in dinging up the shaft with a chisel when the gas axe will do a fast clean job.

Profreedomokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Using a chisel on a bearing race isn't a good idea. You never want to strike a hardened metal against another one. Fragments can fly off with enough force to bury them into you. I was pressing a bearing off a shaft last Monday at work. It was on the shaft from 2002. I had the press pressured up to 3000 psi and then had to heat it up a torch to break it free. I didn't want to risk bending the shaft with more pressure. Too many people aren't trained in how to use a torch correctly.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Using a chisel on a bearing race isn't a good idea. You never want to strike a hardened metal against another one. Fragments can fly off with enough force to bury them into you.
Since he was talking about an axle shaft, I'm guessing he meant using the chisel as a wedge between the inner race and shaft shoulder. Once you get some room, you can then use a punch.

Just my two cents. :drunk2:

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Since he was talking about an axle shaft, I'm guessing he meant using the chisel as a wedge between the inner race and shaft shoulder. Once you get some room, you can then use a punch.

Just my two cents. :drunk2:
Yup. But nowadays I go straight to the torch and cut the race.

Latest posts

Top Bottom