Self checkout

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elwoodtrix

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Politics has nothing to do with it. I agree that some kids are just lazy and some kids believe that there is more to life than busting their azz like their parents did.

If I had it to do all over again I certainly would pick jobs that were less labor intensive - it's called working smarter instead of harder. I think that a lot of you would do the same, even if you won't admit it.
My Lady has a 16 year old and will not allow her to get a job so that she can focus on school. Her oldest was raised the same way, she's 28 and a Dr. I wish I could have done it that way and focused on school. 31 years later and I'm driving a big brown truck(currently on w/c with brand new knees.)

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
of course, though again, it's likely not a singular cause.

Wal-mart's CEO made north of $23 million last year, i believe. I am not faulting him, but i'm sure he is thrilled that higher prices are discussed in the context of raising employee wages and not his take home pay.
But not all companies that we are talking about are Walmart either. When we talk about raising the wages it effects the small Mom and Pops outfits as well. All sorts of different sides to the conversation...

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
But not all companies that we are talking about are Walmart either. When we talk about raising the wages it effects the small Mom and Pops outfits as well. All sorts of different sides to the conversation...
true, though it depends on if we are talking raising the minimum wage vs wages set by market conditions.

Clearly large companies might be able to absorb wage hikes better than the mom and pops, but then again a good mom and pop might also offer better things for workers than a large corporation could. Our local independent bookstore probably isn't raking it in like barnes and nobles might be, but i know they are good at supporting an employee when a kid is home sick from school.

I wasn't saying that all wages should rise regardless, just that it's also dependent on a company to be willing to pay for quality workers. If people aren't showing up as required for $15/hr then maybe it's because the wage isn't competitive to get reliable help. We can complain about it being a worker problem (which is is, in part) but it could also be a sign of the market or an issue with the company, etc.

It's almost like economics deserves it's own field of study or something...

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I still remember the small mom and pop stores when checking out back in the fifties, "we appreciate your business." You don't hear that anywhere today which implies they don't appreciate our business.

Pstmstr

AKA Michael Cox. Back by popular demand.
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
true, though it depends on if we are talking raising the minimum wage vs wages set by market conditions.

Clearly large companies might be able to absorb wage hikes better than the mom and pops, but then again a good mom and pop might also offer better things for workers than a large corporation could. Our local independent bookstore probably isn't raking it in like barnes and nobles might be, but i know they are good at supporting an employee when a kid is home sick from school.

I wasn't saying that all wages should rise regardless, just that it's also dependent on a company to be willing to pay for quality workers. If people aren't showing up as required for $15/hr then maybe it's because the wage isn't competitive to get reliable help. We can complain about it being a worker problem (which is is, in part) but it could also be a sign of the market or an issue with the company, etc.

It's almost like economics deserves it's own field of study or something...
I thought companies were in business to sell products/services and make money? It's like some think they should exist to provide money to employees. I agree there should be fair wages for the type of skills and knowledge to do job. It's not nor it should be a charity project. No one is this country is forced to work any job or accept any rate of pay they are unwilling to work for. If an employer won't pay enough they will not get quality employees. If they charge too much they won't get enough business. If they pay employees too much they will have to charge more or reduce profits. As they find more ways to automate they will eliminate the need for employees. It's been that way since man invented the wheel.

DavidMcmillan

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
All the clever things being suggested as being the way to handle these stores are fins except for the fact that it is the employees that have to put everything back, or listen to all our intelligent comments to the receipt checker, etc. They are just employees, trying to do a job. At least they are working.....

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
All the clever things being suggested as being the way to handle these stores are fins except for the fact that it is the employees that have to put everything back, or listen to all our intelligent comments to the receipt checker, etc. They are just employees, trying to do a job. At least they are working.....

The **** they are. They are huddled up in front of the self-checkout stands talking about how Rachel is eating Trayvon out back in the meat freezer and if Elroy finds out there's gonna be a shooting!*

*True story: Names were changed to protect the innocent. (I don't shop at the Wal-Mart Neighborhood Mart over on MacArthur, I think it is, any more. Lol 1. I don't wanna check out my own groceries and then get drug to the back by Security and accused of shoplifting if the machine ****s up and 2. I don't want to catch a stray from Elroy's Gat when he unloads on Trayvon and Rachel. 🤷)

xseler

These are not the firearms you're looking for.
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If everyone would go to these stores with self checkout and load up carts then leave them sitting in front of the checkout, they might hire some cashier's

That’s a pretty crappy thing to do though.

I'm sorry, Jeff, but that's a reflection on you --- not the attendant or the company. Kinda like the 'customers' that intentionally throw merchandise in the wrong boxes then ***** when they can't find what they need....

Also, at least in my opinion, if someone gets to the checkout and just then realizes that theres only self-check, it shows a serious lack of situation awareness.

Last edited:

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I thought companies were in business to sell products/services and make money? It's like some think they should exist to provide money to employees. I agree there should be fair wages for the type of skills and knowledge to do job. It's not nor it should be a charity project. No one is this country is forced to work any job or accept any rate of pay they are unwilling to work for. If an employer won't pay enough they will not get quality employees. If they charge too much they won't get enough business. If they pay employees too much they will have to charge more or reduce profits. As they find more ways to automate they will eliminate the need for employees. It's been that way since man invented the wheel.
That is all true. Which is why I said companies that want quality workers should pay a rate that attracts them. If they are getting bad and unreliable workers then maybe the economy there requires a higher wage.

Sometimes it really does take money to make money

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
of course, though again, it's likely not a singular cause.

Wal-mart's CEO made north of $23 million last year, i believe. I am not faulting him, but i'm sure he is thrilled that higher prices are discussed in the context of raising employee wages and not his take home pay.

The same jackwad that has new hire orientation include filing for food stamps, WIC, ODUMBASS Care and every other goobermint handout, while making sure their hours and pay keep them below the threshold of qualifications.

Latest posts

Top Bottom