Sell me on the Kahr

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nraman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just sent my CW40 to magnaport. I'll let you guys know how much "snap" it relieves. My complaint was I would grip it so tight trying to control the recoil, I would occasionally drop the mag. I did put a Hogue slip on grip on it and that helped, just not enough. I'm used to big bore revolvers but I must admit this one's a handful.

Did you try shooting lighter bullets? They tend to kick less.
I use 115gr in my PM9 to get some velocity and less recoil from the short barrel.

TallPrairie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had a chance last month to put a box of ammo through a P9 -- the "full sized" polymer 9mm. I was highly impressed. I want that pistol (with night sights)!

Even though it's bigger than the PM9, the P9 is still a very compact gun. The most striking feature of the Kahrs is how slim they are. The P9 would be about comparable in size to my S&W M&P9c Compact, but much lighter and much thinner in width.

The trigger was smooth, light, and easy to use -- like a good revolver trigger. Took me about two mags of shooting to get used to finding the Kahr's reset (different from M&P; closer to Glock). Once I did my groups were excellent in rapid fire out to 10 yards.

If loaded with quality 9mm+P the P9 seems like an awesome CCW option. Very low profile IWB carry, light enough to carry all the time.

Personally, I will stick with the 9mm models and not even think much about the .40, unless maybe it was the metal frame, full sized K40. I've had trouble controlling compact .40s before that weren't even as small or light as the Kahrs. I like .40 in a full sized duty pistol but not for a compact CCW.

PS: The 9mm and .40 Kahrs are pretty scarce on local store shelves right now. The supply line has slowed, a source in the biz tells me. Lots of unmet demand. They expect it to pick up again soon but don't know when. Kahr has made a lot of corporate moves lately -- buying up Auto-Ordnance, and now Magnum Research. That may be distracting them, or tying up a lot of cash.

If this is right, I hope the Kahrs start shipping again soon!

acelungger

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hi Jeff,
I don't know if you have bought your pistol or not? Don't do like a friend of mine does, he sees a new gun and can't sit still untill he buys one, then 9 out of 10 times he doesn't like it as much has he thought he would. I am allways telling him, to find a friend that has one and shoot it:gun1: That is the only way you will know if you are going to like it or not! I started packing a full size 1911 in 1974, and have carried one up untill 2004. I loved those 1911's so much that I had a dozen of them at one time:hithead: In 2004 I was having a lot of back trouble and started packing my Officers model 1911, around that time my wife wanted a pocket pistol, she 4'11" tall and is 100lbs she is a very small woman so I need to get a pistol that fit her hand. We decided that the Kel Tec 380 was perfect. For me I thought it was a little small for me but perfect for her. She shoots it well, and I think it is the safest carry gun you can get. As time went on my back kept getting worst and I no longer could were the Officer model concealed. So I decided to try the wifes 380, I had bought her a real small nylon belt cliped holster, so I took the 380 and the holster and slipped it right ahead of my right front pocket inside the waist band and took of to go to KC, after all day of wearing it you hardly knew you had it there!! I since bought 2 more of them and have put Criimson laser sites on them. That realy help me get used to the long trigger pull.
Just my 2 cents worth.
Later
ACE

Jefpainthorse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
At this point I will probably go with "another" 1911... maybe a micro version.
I found a lightly used Kahr 40 the other day... if it's there next month (price was right) it might follow me home...

There are just too many choices... heck, I even looked at a Glock 23 the other day....

ArmyJohn88

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ive carried a CW40 for a while now and really like it. I have shot it quite a bit and never had any problems after the break-in. (couple hundred rounds), with very few during break in.

When I bought mine I also bought one for my brother and he carried it for several months before just recently trading out to a G26. He also liked his but wanted to consolidate his calibers. Accurate, long but smooth trigger, easily concealable, thin, I like the shooting the CW40 much more than the PM40. Mine has eaten everything I have fed it .

The only issue that arose with both mine and my brothers CW40 is when you insert a full magazine the slide will not slide home on the first round 90% of the time. A small tap to the bottom of the magazine is all it needs.

Hope it helps.

Latest posts

Top Bottom