Selling deer mounts

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ElkStalkR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well if they no longer have glory in them, they should just give them away then.

That was meant in reference to poachers. Poachers shoot deer with antlers not to sale them, because as I stated 150" whitetail won't bring squat for money. However that is a very nice whitetail, therefore they shoot it for thier own glory and to get the recognition, and will continue to do so no matter what stupid laws are made!

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That was meant in reference to poachers. Poachers shoot deer with antlers not to sale them, because as I stated 150" whitetail won't bring squat for money. However that is a very nice whitetail, therefore they shoot it for thier own glory and to get the recognition, and will continue to do so no matter what stupid laws are made!
Same way you see our fish native to Oklahoma in the fish in the Asian fish markets in OKC. Not going to get rich off a few, but quantity pays good. The hybrid striped bass have become really popular by these fisherman who are selling them to the Asian markets.
Allowing the sale of mounts and racks is just another step to commercialized hunting. I DO NOT agree with commercialized hunting.

ElkStalkR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You would never be able to sell enough deer antlers to make any good money at it. Quantity is not a reality when you are talking about deer racks that actually bring any decent amount of cash.

This is non-issue nation wide when it comes to deer specifically. Thus the reason it is LEGAL in the vast majority of states. It should be legal in Oklahoma too. And really because the surrounding states don't outlaw the selling of antlers it makes Oklahoma's law null and void. Cross the border sale your antlers and nobody would even think twice about buying them from you. I guarantee most people don't even realize this is a law in Oklahoma. I've deer hunted there for 20 plus years and I didn't realize it was a law.

I agree I don't want to see hunting "commercialized" either. Thus the reason market hunting was outlawed years ago. The real money in market hunting is the meat! That is illegal. Bird feathers can also be a hot commodity at times. Also against federal law, if its a migratory bird. Really until it becomes an issue there is absolutely no reason to outlaw it. Thus far in history, selling antlers has NOT become a major reason people poach deer. So why outlaw it???

I also want to add:

If its such a huge concern. Why not have every deer skull affixed with an official seal of legal harvest. Much like they do the bighorn sheep. Why screw a legal hunter and owner of the animal out of selling if he ever so desires? You wouldn't have to make the seals mandatory, but if you wanted one, you could go get one so you could sell it.

ALSO, you speak of commercialized hunting. So I assume you want the selling of furs outlawed too? They are no different than deer racks? Bobcats bring good money, yet they are succesfully regulated AND sold! Could this not be done with deer racks also? How about deer hides? How come you can sell those, but you can't sell deer antlers?

The German

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
ALSO, you speak of commercialized hunting. So I assume you want the selling of furs outlawed too? They are no different than deer racks? Bobcats bring good money, yet they are succesfully regulated AND sold! Could this not be done with deer racks also? How about deer hides? How come you can sell those, but you can't sell deer antlers?

Very good point.

AllOut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

See this is bull chit, you obviously don't know any real horn collectors.
A typical 150" whitetail rack can go for $3500+ to the right collectors. Racks with papers (P&Y B&C) go for even more.
My real good friend is a full time taxi and has a few customers that are big collectors. You should see what these guys pay for then bring in to have mounted. It's crazy.....
So even if it's just $2000 for a 150". You could supplement your income pretty decent during hunting season if you drove around poaching for a crew months.
But honestly I thinks it's a dumb law too. I don't think guys will just start killing bucks to sell them. Like you said, it doesn't really happen in all the states you can sell racks.

ElkStalkR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
AllOut,

Maybe in certain areas. My taxidermist tells me differenty. He collects and sales them at antler auctions, or used to, but recently, the market has crashed on antlers, since the economy is down.

Get on Ebay and you can buy 150 class skulls for $300 or less. 150 class mounts for $700 or less. Don't believe me. Check it out. Look at what they are actually selling for, not asking price! Yes they can bring more if they are unique, but the average 150 class deer isn't worth squat really!

Anybody that doesn't believe, cruise the completed auctions on ebay and find out for yourself. Antlers aren't worth what people profess them to be quite frequently. Maybe in certain areas you can get a premium for them but on an open international market such as Ebay they really don't bring that much.

Allout, I agree with you, its not a problem where its legal anyway. Regardless of what we/you/I think they are worth. One final thing, and I am being dead serious here. Can you please give me the contact info of where I could sale my 150" mounts for the price you listed? I have two hanging in my house and would definetly let them go for $2500 each. I mean thats $5000, SOLD if I can get that for them. Oh and it would be legal. They were both taken in Nebraska!

Last edited:

ElkStalkR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just got off the phone with my taxidermist/antler collector. His opinion was 150 class deer on the skull. Basic, nothing unique, 150 class typical will bring an average of $150 depending on the condition.

He also stated he has a 200" mounted whitetail that is legally scoreable (has skull plate attached) that he would happily sell for $3500. If anyone is interested let me know, I can seriously give you his contact info.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The difference in fur bearers and selling furs, they are a dime a dozen. They can be found in any place with some cover. Good mature bucks are not found in any place with some cover. Do you see fur bearer leases going for $3-$10/acre? No. Do you see deer leases going for $3-$10/acre? All the time. So now you are going to try and tell me that is evidence that being able to sell fur bearers hasn't driven up the prices. In actuality trapping fur bearers requires more work and there are a lot less people doing that so the demand is less. If we increase the demand the price goes up.

If you have mounts that don't mean chit to you or you are wanting to sell out to the dollar value get rid of them. Throw em away, donate em, sell em on the black market. Don't try and convince me the law is stupid though.