Selling deer mounts

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the man

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I do understand why they do it but, the part that has always irritated me about this law is they only enforce it when it's convenient. You can go into any flea market, auction or estate sale in Oklahoma and find deer heads, or antlers with the skull plate attached. I also see them on craigslist all the time. My dad passed away a year ago and he had several mounts. I of course kept the ones with the most sentimental value but still had a few to deal with. Because it was illegal to sell them and no one in the family really wanted them... I ended up giving them to another family member who I didn't really want to have them. Anyways... Just wanted to rant.

Johnny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would address it like selling loaded ammo for components. It not like you took the animals to mount and make a profit. You have them and can't use them anymore.

Put the used taxidermy mannequins up for sale and buyer must remove the cape and antlers themselves.

I am not a lawyer, I don't even play one on TV.

264Magnum

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Since its your dad's, why not keep it for yourself? I grew up staring at the mule deer and antelope mounts of my dad's and there's no way I could bring myself to get rid of them.

Davs2601

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
you could cut the antler off and attach them to one of the fake skull mounts that they are selling now for sheds. You could do a euro mount and keep it in the garage. Not sure if you have kids or may in the future, but I would love to have some of my grandfathers mounts even if its a fake euro mount. Once they are gone, they are gone forever.

Just another idea.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can see the good in the law prohibiting the selling of antlers attached to the skull plate. Poaching is bad enough already, but if there was a market for antlers, skulls and mounts I could see it increasing.

ElkStalkR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can see the good in the law prohibiting the selling of antlers attached to the skull plate. Poaching is bad enough already, but if there was a market for antlers, skulls and mounts I could see it increasing.

I disagree. Can you list any other states this is outlawed in?? Poaching deer to sell the antlers IS NOT a huge source of income. Why? Simply because the market is not there. You aren't gonna get much for 160 inch or less buck. They are just "too common" and not enough collectors collecting anyway.

I mean do you really think guys are gonna run around shooting 130-150" bucks just to sale the antlers??? I think not. The risk is not worth the "measely" amount you will get for them. The reason guys shoot those deer are for their own glory, not for the money!! Antlers really aren't worth that much unless its a world class animal.

Its a stupid law and stops ZERO people from poaching. It only makes it impossible for law abiding citizens to sale there legally harvested mounts/skulls when they want to.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I disagree. Can you list any other states this is outlawed in?? Poaching deer to sell the antlers IS NOT a huge source of income. Why? Simply because the market is not there. You aren't gonna get much for 160 inch or less buck. They are just "too common" and not enough collectors collecting anyway.

I mean do you really think guys are gonna run around shooting 130-150" bucks just to sale the antlers??? I think not. The risk is not worth the "measely" amount you will get for them. The reason guys shoot those deer are for their own glory, not for the money!! Antlers really aren't worth that much unless its a world class animal.

Its a stupid law and stops ZERO people from poaching. It only makes it impossible for law abiding citizens to sale there legally harvested mounts/skulls when they want to.
Well if they no longer have glory in them, they should just give them away then.

DEER 24/7

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
My parents sold their house and are retiring to Florida. He has some nice deer mounts, 1 real nice Boone and Crockett. Is there any kind of market to sell mounts?

I don't want to offend anyone but why would a guy want to sell his deer mounts unless it was because he needed the money to take care of his family other then that I would never sell mine,if I had B&C that I had taken It would have to go where ever I lived