Semi or Revolver

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
one of the main reasons for CCW a revolver ... after trying out a few small auto pistols. including living with a German made Walther PPK .380. so one cannot claim low quality of mfg. also tried Ruger LCP .. couldn't get rid of it fast enough. repeat with a few other small auto pistols...

conclusion was all small auto pistols jam even when firing round nose bullets. one naturally thinks if pistol jams with round nose, what's it gone to do with self defense rounds. which are impractical to run several hundred rounds through pistol to prove.

which is why my CCW is 340PD revolver packing .357magnum. Yes I've been tempted to go with .38 +P .. but if one carefully select .357 self defense loads. one can find loads with recoil just slightly above .38 +P.

putting all five rounds into a pie plate at 10yds each and every time is the minimum requirement.

recently a friend claimed his Ruger LC9 has never jammed. naturally I asked out of how many rounds. he replied about 500 rounds of several different brands of 9mm without a single jam. if this is true perhaps LC9 is worthy of another look at a small auto pistol. was impressed with LC9's true safety lever, round indicator and a very smooth 6lb trigger.

RIP

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I didn't see anyone mention a Glock model 26. It is a smaller auto that can be pocket carried or ankle-carried. I also have an LCR chambered in 357 mag and it is a little easier to pocket carry...also lighter. The nice thing about either the G26 or LCR, they make great BUG options especially when carrying a G19 IWB with a couple 17 round mags on the belt or a S&W 386 (7 rounds of .357 mag) IWB with a set of Kwik Strips for quick reloads. This gives you the ability to keep the same caliber for the primary and BUG with reloads that work for either weapon.

I really like 45 acp but finding BUG options that can be pocket carried or ankle carried is impossible.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I didn't see anyone mention a Glock model 26. It is a smaller auto that can be pocket carried or ankle-carried. I also have an LCR chambered in 357 mag and it is a little easier to pocket carry...also lighter. The nice thing about either the G26 or LCR, they make great BUG options especially when carrying a G19 IWB with a couple 17 round mags on the belt or a S&W 386 (7 rounds of .357 mag) IWB with a set of Kwik Strips for quick reloads. This gives you the ability to keep the same caliber for the primary and BUG with reloads that work for either weapon.

I really like 45 acp but finding BUG options that can be pocket carried or ankle carried is impossible.

Glock 26 weight is 21oz + 10 rounds 9mm .. a 26oz pistol is not light, then factor Glock with NO safety cannot be be pocket carried without a holster. which kind of defeats purpose of having a small pistol for CCW.

RIP

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Glock 26 weight is 21oz + 10 rounds 9mm .. a 26oz pistol is not light, then factor Glock with NO safety cannot be be pocket carried without a holster. which kind of defeats purpose of having a small pistol for CCW.
Thank you for making the statement regarding a holster. I assumed everyone knew to carry their firearm holstered, whether in the pocket or not. I should have made that point in my post. And you are right, there is no safety on a Glock, but there isn't one on any revolver either. Suffice it to say, never carry any firearm in any pocket without a holster.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thank you for making the statement regarding a holster. I assumed everyone knew to carry their firearm holstered, whether in the pocket or not. I should have made that point in my post. And you are right, there is no safety on a Glock, but there isn't one on any revolver either. Suffice it to say, never carry any firearm in any pocket without a holster.

it's quite safe to slip a S&W snub nose revolver into your pocket for quick use vs wouldn't even think of it with a Glock. for all day CCW 340PD lives in a custom leather holster. 2.5 second or faster draws are no problem.

there's a world of difference between trigger pull of a Glock vs S&W revolver... you really cannot compare the two for safety from accidental discharge. IMHO a Glock must have a holster that completely shields trigger for CCW.

Latest posts

Top Bottom