Semi or Revolver

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
double action only snub nose revolvers are a completely different animal
IMHO one of the hardest to master of all handguns.

if you cannot put all five shots into a pie plate at 10yards. then you need to either pick another handgun and/or go practice a few thousand times dry firing it. use snap caps to cut down wear and tear.

really like the CT laser grip on 340PD but not for the reasons you would think. to me aiming with that laser is next to worthless in bright sunlight and will slow down your quest for accuracy. but having a laser during dry fire sessions .. lock laser on to target, then carefully watch how much laser jumps when you pull trigger. when you can consistently pull through entire double action without laser moving. then you've got a proof positive indicator your form is correct.

my CCW is an 11oz 340PD packing carefully chosen .357 magnum self defensive loads.
proper technique is very important with double action only revolvers. finger/hand alignment is all important if you want a hope of improving accuracy ..

a full on trigger job where every single component that rubs against anything is polished. along with reducing weight of trigger return spring. don't be reducing hammer spring, which reduces primer strike reliability.

practice, practice, practice along with proper technique, trigger job, careful ammo selection = a competent CCW holder.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I usually carry a Glock 36 tucked into my pants in a cheap looking flat cloth holster that adheres to skin or fabric and is surprisingly comfortable. Can't remember the brand. Bought it For about $20 at King's pawn in MWC at the suggestion of a MWC LEO. Obviously I wear untucked shirts. My belly is nearly at the negligible point. Wouldn't think a beer gut would be friendly here. My wife can spot a printing handgun like you wouldn't believe, but if my shirt isn't snug she can't tell this is in place.

I have a $75.00 Looper G-19 holster that is fine until I sit, but then it tends to dig in. I have done the break-in that Looper recommends, but it's never going to be as comfortable as the other one. The cloth holster fits nicely and keeps the trigger well shrouded. Fast to draw, and surprisingly easy to reholster without removal.

I have a Smith 66 with a 2 inch barrel that is my open carry gun, but I almost never open carry. None of my revolvers are very friendly for concealment. When wife asked if I was going to open carry, I went into "my room," got down to a pair of white socks, put on my Kodiak Hunter with the scoped Super Redhawk in it, and walked back into the living room, being careful to avoid any ucurtained windows. The response was epic. She wanted pictures, but I ran before she could get her phone out.

If we have another ice age, the Redhawks will be my concealed carry under a big parka.

Incidentally, I have a couple of holsters for N frame guns that I advertised some time back with no takers. Fit seven and a half inch barrels in Redhawk, Smith 29, and probably Anaconda. Not sure about other big hoglegs. I guess I should reserect the post.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
double action only snub nose revolvers are a completely different animal
IMHO one of the hardest to master of all handguns.

if you cannot put all five shots into a pie plate at 10yards. then you need to either pick another handgun and/or go practice a few thousand times dry firing it. use snap caps to cut down wear and tear.

really like the CT laser grip on 340PD but not for the reasons you would think. to me aiming with that laser is next to worthless in bright sunlight and will slow down your quest for accuracy. but having a laser during dry fire sessions .. lock laser on to target, then carefully watch how much laser jumps when you pull trigger. when you can consistently pull through entire double action without laser moving. then you've got a proof positive indicator your form is correct.

my CCW is an 11oz 340PD packing carefully chosen .357 magnum self defensive loads.
proper technique is very important with double action only revolvers. finger/hand alignment is all important if you want a hope of improving accuracy ..

a full on trigger job where every single component that rubs against anything is polished. along with reducing weight of trigger return spring. don't be reducing hammer spring, which reduces primer strike reliability.

practice, practice, practice along with proper technique, trigger job, careful ammo selection = a competent CCW holder.

I agree on several thing's CY has said here; One the DAO revolver takes lots, and lots of practice to master, and maintain. Two, that money you spend on that lazer would be better spent on ammo, and a racket ball to strengthen your grip. Three, even though CY likes his light pocket howitzer, and nothing against that, I prefer an all steel revolver in .38spl. rated for +P, and get yourself several holsters for different types of carry, and don't forget that range time!!!!!!

jakerz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a Smith 66 with a 2 inch barrel that is my open carry gun, but I almost never open carry. None of my revolvers are very friendly for concealment. When wife asked if I was going to open carry, I went into "my room," got down to a pair of white socks, put on my Kodiak Hunter with the scoped Super Redhawk in it, and walked back into the living room, being careful to avoid any ucurtained windows. The response was epic. She wanted pictures, but I ran before she could get her phone out.

This is epic.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I agree on several thing's CY has said here; One the DAO revolver takes lots, and lots of practice to master, and maintain. Two, that money you spend on that lazer would be better spent on ammo, and a racket ball to strengthen your grip. Three, even though CY likes his light pocket howitzer, and nothing against that, I prefer an all steel revolver in .38spl. rated for +P, and get yourself several holsters for different types of carry, and don't forget that range time!!!!!!

excellent point ldp .. after one has spent the countless hours of practice dry firing with laser and range time (without laser). and one is proficient enough to place all five rounds of .357 magnum inside a pie plate at 10yds with a DAO 2in 11oz revolver :thumb:

maintenance/range time is absolutely necessary to have a hope of keeping your proficiency.

AtomicTango

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've got several semi's that I carry from time to time. Really been jonesing for a wheel gun tho. Thinking a s&w 442 or 642 or possibly step up to a ruger gp 100.

Same here. I don't have much practice with revolvers, but there is something appealing about them, and I'd like to give one a go for ccw. Not sure if I can get any more concealable than my CM9, but sometimes the itty bitty grip is a chore to keep on target.

Latest posts

Top Bottom