Semiauto 45 acp carry gun opinions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pharr Shot

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I hear ya man; I know several people that have XD/XDS and love them, and my wife has a G17, and I'll admit, it is an accurate gun, just never been a Glock fan, and always liked the M&P's over the XD's personally. I done a scan on slickguns just now, and they show to have a CT, CW and CM Kahr, all close in price...what's the difference in those models? And do yall think that one of the Smith M&P compact 45's is worth paying $100-125 more than those Kahr models? The M&P does hold 10 vs 7/8 in the single stack guns like the Kahrs. Thanks again for all the input!

The CT is their "fullsize", the CW is the next size down, and the CM are their tiny lil' guns which IMO I'd stay away from since they're so dang small.
The CW45 is a great choice! My dad has one and it is unbelievably accurate! Now at first it might scare you because the recoil from it is snappy but after you get used to that it's nice and smooth.
Me personally, I've had problems with the M&P line. The first M&P I got was the 40c. The first day I got it it shot dead on, but every time after that it was just all over the place. I found out that S&W had been accidentally putting on the wrong sized (height) sights. I just got rid of it. Now I got a Shield in .40S&W and I love it.
I don't know much about the 45 models, from what I understand they're good, I just don't know enough about them to help you with it.

lkothe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been carrying a CW45 for 18 months. Only iwb that I've carried but seems to work well for me. Shoots well and haven't had any problems with it.
As much as I like it I'm thinking on getting rid of it and acquiring a M&Pc, the trigger on the Kahr is way different than my M&P IDPA pistol.

tulsamal

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I started out with revolvers and carried first a S&W M640 and then a S&W M296 Airweight Centennial. I finally decided I wanted longer range hit potential and vest penetration. (Colorado theater scenario... way in back of room with an active shooter wearing a vest.) So I switched my daily carry to an HK P2000 LEM in .357 SIG. Very happy with it after a year or two with it and it has only increased my respect for HK. I like Glocks and XD's, etc, etc, but HK's are just better. Strip them all down, look at the design and the construction, take them to the range and put a bunch of rounds through them... you start to believe.

Anyway, my favorite "new gun" of the last few years remains the full size HK45. I converted mine to LEM and that was really all it needed. Truly excellent gun to shoot and makes me look better than with any other handgun. If I was going to carry a .45 ACP (and close my eyes to the inadequate tactical penetration) then I would go with the compact version of the HK45. That would be the HK45c. And I would go LEM.

Pharr Shot

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been carrying a CW45 for 18 months. Only iwb that I've carried but seems to work well for me. Shoots well and haven't had any problems with it.
As much as I like it I'm thinking on getting rid of it and acquiring a M&Pc, the trigger on the Kahr is way different than my M&P IDPA pistol.

Honestly I'd take the CW45 over a M&Pc of any caliber. I had the M&P40c for a while, the first day I got it I went to the range and put about 100 rounds through it and it was dead on accurate. After that though, rounds where going everywhere. I found out that Smith & Wesson had been accidentally putting on the wrong height sights on their pistols. If you do go after a compact model of theirs, make sure it's brand new or get correct aftermarket sights for it. Just givin' ya' a lil' heads up.

lkothe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just dont like the Kahr trigger....it is a longgg pull and reset. The M&Pc9 I shot was dead on and trigger was so much closer to my M&P pro.

Honestly I'd take the CW45 over a M&Pc of any caliber. I had the M&P40c for a while, the first day I got it I went to the range and put about 100 rounds through it and it was dead on accurate. After that though, rounds where going everywhere. I found out that Smith & Wesson had been accidentally putting on the wrong height sights on their pistols. If you do go after a compact model of theirs, make sure it's brand new or get correct aftermarket sights for it. Just givin' ya' a lil' heads up.

davek

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The S&W 457 or any of the single stack S&W pistols are all excellent. I've owned a couple of 4586's before and will probably own another again some day. I have a single stack 4053 which is a .40 on the .45/10mm frame. Eight rounds in the mag, works every time, accurate. Superb carry gun.

Latest posts

Top Bottom