Senate Bill 910, Velvet Antler Season

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’m not against folks having their shot at all, in fact I’m seeking an exemption from state ban on killing white/piebald deer.
I thought that had already been taken care of? A kid in Guthrie shot a white deer and there was a huge negative response from some causing the ODW to require written permission from the ODW director to shoot one.
I think that issue is no longer in effect or the regs have been relaxed?
BTW in Delaware and Virginia the piebald deer are so thick that their wildlife departments encourage shooting them to clean up the herd.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I do agree and I am. But I know many that are not. So either way, are they not exploiting the animal for profit when there is already 3 seasons to take a buck. Hence the ethics comment. You'll either be tempted to buy an additional tag or the lifetime license due to the overall increased cost of yearly license, and tag fee options. And is that not counter intuitive to already limiting the buck kill to 2 total instead of one for each already existing seasons as it used to be. Or are they still limiting to 2 bucks while diluting the sportsmans dollar. Boone and Crocket does not count/allow admission of velvet racks but it appears Safari Club International does. Pope and Young have a seperate category. (Hence the asterisk comment for Okie Cy Curtis). But I believe the allowance and admission of velvet racks was for the states that have early seasons due to weather constraints. Not for those that don't or for the purpose of creating a new category for the same animal that just hasn't made it to the seasonal fruition it's natural breeding requirements. They don't compete for does with soft horns just as a man can't legitimatly compete for woman with soft XXXXX. There is also the added burden on the game rangers, of which I think most will tell you they are already challenged by chasing poachers. So why not complicate it by extending the time available to the criminal so it makes it easier to conceal the violation. The overall deer season is already 3.5 months long. And if they do pass this fuzzy bill, will it give more headway again to the deer hunter and adversly affect the predator hunters time afieild on public land as it already has? This also takes the mindset away from increased doe harvest. Should I indeed bow (or bow-pun intended) to thee in search of the trophy asterisk?
There is a movement afoot that wants to further restrict bucks to one per year, yet the legislature wants to open another buck season? Doesn't make sense. Let's hope it fails.
The reason we are being overran with out of state hunters is because Ok is one of the states projected to produce the next world record whitetail with a two buck limit.
(I'm not talking about out of state landowners so some feathers don't feel like they need to be ruffled and you know who you are. :laugh6: )
Just like duck hunting, deer hunting lands are being leased up by outfitters where a knock on the door used to get permission.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Now that it is cleared up, I expect to see Ted with a white deer this year.
If I see one, it'll likely get shot.

I didn't realize they had repealed that restriction.

I just remember that 17 year old kid had his picture everywhere and then started getting death threats over killing the stupid thing. Lousy way to treat a decent kid. Sorry bastards.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’m a huge proponent for going to one buck a year and increasing the doe limit for those that supposedly need the meat to survive.

If the velvet buck deal is a lottery, I won’t participate even though I would only be hunting my own place. In my opinion, any lottery and/or draw hunts should be for residents only.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’m a huge proponent for going to one buck a year and increasing the doe limit for those that supposedly need the meat to survive.

If the velvet buck deal is a lottery, I won’t participate even though I would only be hunting my own place. In my opinion, any lottery and/or draw hunts should be for residents only.
For just this hunt, or are you saying "any lottery hunt"?

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’m saying ALL lottery and draw hunts should be for resident hunters only.
Should all lottery/ draw-in hunts be only for residents in CO, NM, etc...?

I'd agree residents should get preference, but I'd hate to see other states implement what you're proposing.

(if they want to, it's their prerogative, I'd just hate to see it)

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Should all lottery/ draw-in hunts be only for residents in CO, NM, etc...?

I'd agree residents should get preference, but I'd hate to see other states implement what you're proposing.

(if they want to, it's their prerogative, I'd just hate to see it)
I’ve never hunted CO or NM, but it’s my understanding that you can’t just buy a license over the counter for a lot of the game like in OK and TX. If draws are the only way to get a tag, then it should be open to anyone. In my opinion, the draw hunts in Oklahoma are special opportunity hunts and should be available only to residents.

Latest posts

Top Bottom