Senate Bill 910, Velvet Antler Season

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kwaynem

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’ve never hunted CO or NM, but it’s my understanding that you can’t just buy a license over the counter for a lot of the game like in OK and TX. If draws are the only way to get a tag, then it should be open to anyone. In my opinion, the draw hunts in Oklahoma are special opportunity hunts and should be available only to residents.
I believe IMO only that if you own land in Oklahoma and pay Oklahoma taxes you should be able to get landowners tags for same price as residents atleast a lower price than non resident

Dorkus

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’m a huge proponent for going to one buck a year and increasing the doe limit for those that supposedly need the meat to survive.

If the velvet buck deal is a lottery, I won’t participate even though I would only be hunting my own place. In my opinion, any lottery and/or draw hunts should be for residents only.
If they had one buck a season, the reality is many small bucks will either not be checked or left in the woods. How many of us have shot a spike thinking it was a doe? Is it right? The answer is “No” but it is a situation that will happen.

Two bucks is fine and should stay If not, only is rule following hunters will be impacted.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If they had one buck a season, the reality is many small bucks will either not be checked or left in the woods. How many of us have shot a spike thinking it was a doe? Is it right? The answer is “No” but it is a situation that will happen.

Two bucks is fine and should stay If not, only is rule following hunters will be impacted.
So you’re saying that everyone that mistakenly shot a spike last fall checked it in as buck and didn’t try to hide it?

In my opinion it doesn’t matter what the rules are, folks that are going to break them are going to break them.

Your argument is similar to the one that less deer get checked under the online system versus having to physically take them to a check station. The guy that won’t go online to check a deer dang sure isn’t going to load up his deer and drive around trying to find an open check station.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score

How do we know that this is or isn't already going on?

Dorkus

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I really doubt it matters much. If we don't start killing a boatload of does, we're gonna be seriously overpopulated soon, IMHO. (that's eastern OK mostly)
This is the key and I don't understand why people do not harvest more does. I am sure we all talk to people who only shoot bucks, and I do not get it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom