September Practical Rifle Match

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snyperc

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
No problem JT. No offense was taken. IDPA DMG does have my support, it's just not the direction I think the participants of the Practical Rifle Match want to go.
I consider every one of the shooters at the Match to be Warriors and Sheepdogs and I think the direction we have gone is more suited to their mindset and desires for types of matches.
Is there room for improvement? Absolutley
Are there other matches that offer similar (not to say the same) type of shooting experience? Sure
We will ever compromise our Match to conform to someone elses views on how we should run our Match? NEVER
I am sure I will attend some of the IDPA matches, if for no other reason than to be a participant rather than Match Director.
Any suggestions from ANYONE on things we can do to make our match better are always welcomed, and I know all our participants know that.
Dave

Snyperc

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Sorry.
A Classifier is a 50 round course of fire consisting of @13 different "strings". For instance, in one string you take two shots to target #1, execute a mag change, go kneeling and take two shots to target #2 (there are only 2 targets). It allows shooters to judge their Match scores against other shooters who are in their same "Class".
The one we use is an adaptation of the MEU-SOC Classifier.
Dave

Spiff

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not at this time. One reason is because one of the most popular, and least expensive, calibers isn't allowed- 5.45x39.
there are other reasons as well. But we have been rockin for 3 years and why fix something that isn't broken?
Dave

That is silly. What on earth drove them to not allow 5.45?

BrandonM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
will there be different classes? Open sights, red dots, ect?

There is always different classes. I don't remember all the names for em' but open sights are the stock class. There is a curio and relic class as well if you show up with a garand. I believe there are classes for red dots, and another for magnified optics like the acog, as well as a seperate pistol caliber class for the guys running 9mm uppers on their ar's. I could be wrong on some of those details. I have only ever shot in the stock class.

Everyone shoots together, or however the crowd is broken up. Usually around 10 people to a group, and 25-40 shooters. Typically anyways.

loudshirt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sorry.
The one we use is an adaptation of the MEU-SOC Classifier.

The MEU-SOC thing got my attention. Seems as if there were some Marines involved in the development of the classifier.

MEU-SOC from the Marine Corps point of view is Marine Expeditionary Unit (Special Operations Capable) Usually MEU(SOC).

Were there Marines involved? Do you know if that is where the name came from or if it was from something else.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The MEU-SOC thing got my attention. Seems as if there were some Marines involved in the development of the classifier.

MEU-SOC from the Marine Corps point of view is Marine Expeditionary Unit (Special Operations Capable) Usually MEU(SOC).

Were there Marines involved? Do you know if that is where the name came from or if it was from something else.

I was 2nd MEU(SOC) back in 1986, but I believe Dave came up with that himself! :)

Snyperc

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Divisions are- Unlimited, Open, Limited, Stock, C&R, and Patrol Carbine.
Classifications are- Novice, Marksman, Sharpshooter, Expert, Master

Everyone shoots together. the different classes and divisions are only relevant on the final scores.
Dave

Latest posts

Top Bottom