Shooting from a treestand.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
7 out of 10 jump the string. Really? I have shot several deer with my bowtech and a couple with a much slower PSE and not once have I had a deer jump string. Aiming 6" low with one of today's fast bows sounds like a recipe for disaster. If your really concerned with it go shoot out of a tree it's as simple as that.

It really doesn't have anything to do with the speed of the bow. Several factors come into play. Is the deer relaxed, or tense? Is your bow quiet, or sounds like a .22 when it goes off? A tense deer, and a loud set-up, will almost always cause it to "jump the string". A relaxed deer, with a quiet set-up usually results in good hits. Sometimes, they never know they've been hit until they fall over.

There isn't a bow made that will shoot an arrow at the speed of sound or better. And it has been documented that a deer can drop his entire body height in 1/10th of 1 second.

oneshotonekill

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It really doesn't have anything to do with the speed of the bow. Several factors come into play. Is the deer relaxed, or tense? Is your bow quiet, or sounds like a .22 when it goes off? A tense deer, and a loud set-up, will almost always cause it to "jump the string". A relaxed deer, with a quiet set-up usually results in good hits. Sometimes, they never know they've been hit until they fall over.

There isn't a bow made that will shoot an arrow at the speed of sound or better. And it has been documented that a deer can drop his entire body height in 1/10th of 1 second.

We can argue this all day. I was just saying that over my short time bow hunting (It will be 11 years this fall). That I haven't had a deer jump string. I have shot more than one deer that was very alert and ready to go. It can happen I have seen it happen on several shows but not first hand. I agree 100% that how quiet or loud your bow is makes a huge difference. You can't say however that speed isn't a factor just come watch my compound vs. my recurve. I would venture to say that hunting with the recurve this year may be my first opportunity to see the string jump first hand.

As far as shooting from a tree I shoot for center of the heart and most generally get a nice downward angle high heart lungs shot. So yes point of impact is higher than point of aim but it is negligible. This is my personal experience and now that we have had this conversation I will probably shoot over the backs of the next 3 deer I shoot at. :D

Clean Harry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We can argue this all day. I was just saying that over my short time bow hunting (It will be 11 years this fall). That I haven't had a deer jump string. I have shot more than one deer that was very alert and ready to go. It can happen I have seen it happen on several shows but not first hand. I agree 100% that how quiet or loud your bow is makes a huge difference. You can't say however that speed isn't a factor just come watch my compound vs. my recurve. I would venture to say that hunting with the recurve this year may be my first opportunity to see the string jump first hand.

As far as shooting from a tree I shoot for center of the heart and most generally get a nice downward angle high heart lungs shot. So yes point of impact is higher than point of aim but it is negligible. This is my personal experience and now that we have had this conversation I will probably shoot over the backs of the next 3 deer I shoot at. :D

Does that mean that every deer from now on will jump the string? You've used up all your non-string jumpers.:D

Danny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

I'm not trying to argue. I'm just trying to shed some light on a myth that today's compound bows shoot faster than the sound of it going off reaches the deer and it reacts to it. I don't need to see your compound have a shootoff with your recurve. It still doesn't shoot at or better than the speed of sound. The only advantage a fast bow has over a slow bow is that you can be a poor judge of yardage and get away with it.

I do hope you haven't jinxed yourself. I got mine out of the way early. Spike came walking up and I shot. It jumped the string, but didn't leave the area. I shot again, and again he ducked the string, but didn't leave the area. I shot a third time. This time he was tired and didn't drop quite far enough. Spine shot dropped him right there. I found a loose stabilizer was the culprit because it would rattle at the shot. That was in 1984.

grwd

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Think of it this way; youre at the base of your tree, on level ground. If you shoot a target at 20 yards away, you should use the same pin on that same target, when you are up in the tree, no matter the height.

Arrow drop is affected by the distance it moves across the level of the ground, not the actual distance the arrow flies out of a tree stand.

You could be up in a redwood, shooting 300ft above a target 10 yards away from the base of the tree, and it will drop exactly the same as if you wereat the base of the tree, shooting only 10 yds from the target.

EFsDad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I go out to my stand and measure 20 yards 30 yards and 40 yards to specific points. Then I just gauge is it between these points. Done and cheap and easy!

white92coupe

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I go out to my stand and measure 20 yards 30 yards and 40 yards to specific points. Then I just gauge is it between these points. Done and cheap and easy!

This is what my plan is. I was just curious to how other bow hunters went about this. My family is just getting started in bow hunting. Most of us bought our first hunting bows this past year.

AllOut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Think of it this way; youre at the base of your tree, on level ground. If you shoot a target at 20 yards away, you should use the same pin on that same target, when you are up in the tree, no matter the height.

Arrow drop is affected by the distance it moves across the level of the ground, not the actual distance the arrow flies out of a tree stand.

You could be up in a redwood, shooting 300ft above a target 10 yards away from the base of the tree, and it will drop exactly the same as if you wereat the base of the tree, shooting only 10 yds from the target.

exactly... there is no difference on the ground to in a stand and i have practiced both for a long time and i can sight my pins in at 20, 30, 40, 50, 60 and 70 from the ground then climb in a tree and hit the same exact spots with each pin as long as it on flat ground.
besides even if it did shoot 3inch high it would be a good thing cause u want to hit higher due to your shooting down into the vitals and not directly through them... as for speed i think they claim a deers reaction speed is up to 800fps so bow speed isnt as important as it being as quite as possible which is why xbows being so loud makes them a closer distance weapon than a vert bow no matter how much better groups u can shoot with them

Latest posts

Top Bottom