Shooting from a treestand.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

white92coupe

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This will be my first year to bow hunt from a treestand, and I was curious if you other bow hunters adjusted pins or aimed differently while in your treestand. My ladder stand is ~17.5' to the top of the seat.

white92coupe

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There are now rangefinders specifically made for bow hunters that automatically compensate for shooting angle.

I know, but thanks for the info. As a college student finding the extra $250+ dollars to buy one isn't always easy when there are bills to pay. I've read several reviews on the $99 ones, and they aren't so good.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It goes beyone what your brain tells you, but one has to aim way low. I usually aim 6" below what I think is the sweet spot at 25 yds. It increased with distance.
If you don't want to put out for a range finder, put a stand up in a tree in your yard, or out in public ground, put out a target and see for yourself.
Nothing beats practice.

white92coupe

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It goes beyone what your brain tells you, but one has to aim way low. I usually aim 6" below what I think is the sweet spot at 25 yds. It increased with distance.
If you don't want to put out for a range finder, put a stand up in a tree in your yard, or out in public ground, put out a target and see for yourself.
Nothing beats practice.

Thanks Dennis. I need to make it down to my grandpa's place to do some practicing from a stand.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks Dennis. I need to make it down to my grandpa's place to do some practicing from a stand.

I live in the country, but have shot from the roof of the house, shop building, etc just to see what different ranges would do.
Start at the base of the tree/building and put some flags at 10, 20 and so on. Shoot with your bow on the ground, and then if your using sights, climb to 10 feet, 20 feet and son on. Each level presents a different sight angle.
Good luck on your upcoming season!

oneshotonekill

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have found very little difference if you are shooting a fast bow (300fps)ish. I have a rangefinder that computes the angle and very seldom is there more than a yard or two difference. Most of my shots are 20 yards and I don't even worry about it. I have ranged targets out to 40 + and like I said not much difference with fast bow. I am usually not quite as high up as your stand though more like 12 feet or so.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Don't forget to bend at the waist to shoot below you. Drop that bow arm and you're screwed. That's the main thing that took me a while to get ingrained.

Keep your upper body the same as if you were shooting on the ground, just bend at the waist.

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I never have any trouble but the key is to shoot the distance from the base of the tree to the deer, not the distance from the tree stand to the deer.

Danny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Don't forget to bend at the waist to maintain proper upper body form. Just lowering your bow arm can change your draw ever so slightly, causing an issue too.

Oops, didn't see ridgehunters post. Sorry.

Latest posts

Top Bottom