D Day.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
An interesting article on the Atlantic Wall and an invasion of France in 1942 no one remembers.

On August 19, 1942, British and Canadian forces launched Operation Jubilee, a massive and incredibly bloody raid on the French port of Dieppe. The raid was a jumble of objectives, with some brief successes, but ultimately the terrible sting of brutal losses.
On the Allied side, Lord Mountbatten justified the losses at Dieppe as a down payment on the successes achieved on the Normandy beaches: “I have no doubt that the battle of Normandy was won on the beaches of Dieppe. For every man who died at Dieppe, at least 10 more must have been spared in Normandy in 1944.”

https://www.thearmorylife.com/d-day-defeating-nazi-atlantic-wall/?

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
An interesting article on the Atlantic Wall and an invasion of France in 1942 no one remembers.

On August 19, 1942, British and Canadian forces launched Operation Jubilee, a massive and incredibly bloody raid on the French port of Dieppe. The raid was a jumble of objectives, with some brief successes, but ultimately the terrible sting of brutal losses.
On the Allied side, Lord Mountbatten justified the losses at Dieppe as a down payment on the successes achieved on the Normandy beaches: “I have no doubt that the battle of Normandy was won on the beaches of Dieppe. For every man who died at Dieppe, at least 10 more must have been spared in Normandy in 1944.”

https://www.thearmorylife.com/d-day-defeating-nazi-atlantic-wall/?
The Britts can convert every major military disaster in their history into some sort of victory.
Field Marshal Montgomery of the Britts was responsible for thousands of lives lost by his inability to lead forces and his jealousy of Eisenhower's successes.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
1717823778603.png

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My dad went in on Utah beach with the 90th division. Wish I had asked him more about it.

He may not have told you much.

My Uncle was in Korea. That is all I know. He never said anything about his time in service.

My cousin pulled 3 tours in Vietnam. First tour back, he told us some tales.
Second tour, he told us "it was really bad."
Third tour, he told me, "go to Canada, go to Mexico, but do not go to Vietnam." He looked older than his Dad, who was in WWII Navy and did not talk about it.

2 of my best friends were Air Force in Vietnam, in '69. 1 tells lot of stories, but was stationed in Camron Bay and saw little action. The other rarely ever speaks of his time in. His brother was Marine and never mentioned his time.
The more intense action encountered, the less they talk about it. So I have been told.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The Britts can convert every major military disaster in their history into some sort of victory.
Field Marshal Montgomery of the Britts was responsible for thousands of lives lost by his inability to lead forces and his jealousy of Eisenhower's successes.
Wait until you read about Churchill's military genius.

HFS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Latest posts

Top Bottom