Shotgun Deer hunting ammo

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NINEROUND

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am thinking about taking out the old Mossberg 590 for some of the deer gun days this year. It shoots good with the slugs that I fired through it (Federal, I think) out to 50 yards, and I plan to limit shots to about that range or maybe a little farther. My question is, of those of you that use shotguns for deer, what slugs do you use with good results? It doesn't have a rifled barrel, so I guess sabots are out, and I don't plan on scoping it. I'm pretty sure that almost any slug should do the deed on a deer, but I could be wrong.

bigcountryok

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would at least install some form of sight on the shotgun other than just the bead. Most any 12ga rifled solid slug will have plenty of energy to take a deer at 50yards. I would avoid the fragmenting slugs. Just like any other weapon though you have to test different rounds to see what works best with your shotgun.

NINEROUND

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I should have clarified.....the Mossberg has rifle ghost ring sights. I think the Federal rounds were just the standard load, not fragmenting. Guess I'll give them a try.

Latest posts

Top Bottom