Farthest shot

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dorkus

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was just sitting here thinking about hunting, which is what I mostly do. 😁 I got to thinking about my longest shot on big game and was curious what everyone has taken as far as distance.

My farthest was around 250 yards on a cow elk at WMNWR with my furthest deer a doe at 180 yards at another refuge. Most of my shots are well within 100 yards and that is about my maximum anymore.

So what is your furthest shot and how far are you willing to reach out and touch one?

undeg01

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My furthest shot on a big game animal that resulted in a harvest was just over 800 yards on a whitetail doe. Took the shot just to see if I could make it. Pulled the trigger and what seemed like a minute later, I saw her go down…then up…then down…then finally bulldoze her way to the edge of the field under a cedar tree. When I got to her, I had to put a killing shot in her because my first shot was low and took off her front legs at the knees. Not a nice thing at all.

I have shot several deer in the 400 - 500 yd range and when conditions are right, I wouldn’t hesitate to take those shots.

magna19

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sitting in a tripod stand and had a trail going up the river bank. I was going to see how my 7 rem mag handload would do on a doe. Well the wind was less than 5 mph and probably closer to 0 mph. With a doe stopping at the river edge and me sitting completely calm with a good rest. I ranged a cedar next to the trail at 474 yds held my holdover and shot. Thought i heard the hit and the doe took off up the bank and disappeared with the other deer. About 30 seconds later this doe came running back across the river and dropped right in the middle of the river. 10 ring hit pass thru double lung. Luckily the river was very low and she didnt move during the shot. At the time i thought wow that was a long shot. But with the conditions and a very accurate rifle it really wasn't.

trbii

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Flat, level shot at what I stepped off as 125 yards, at a whitetail doe, walking slowing from right to left. 165 grain .30-06 Springfield factory load. Hit a few inches back, from where I was holding, elevation was good, windage POI to the right. Scope was zeroed about 3” high at 100 yds. The deer went down less than a minute after hit, but I was disappointed with my failure to make a better hit on a slow moving target.

diggler1833

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I competed in service rifle matches for both the NRA as well as military competition. We shot out to 1K with open sights (back then, not current with my knowledge base).

I have verified my 7 mag to 500 yards, and my .308 to 400 on the ranch. I shoot these distances annually just to make sure everything is tracking still before the hunting seasons begin. I love shooting at distance here on the ranch, and can reach 900 yards without too much issue.

Yet my furthest shot ever on game with the 7 mag is 267 yards, and my .308 is 241 yards. Both were extremely quick harvests of whitetails...however, my average shot is between 80 and 130 yards. Unfortunately for my rifle skills, I've taken up crossbow hunting and am having a lot more success with that.

Latest posts

Top Bottom