Farthest shot

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

osu007

AKA: Fat Jack, Believer in God
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was just sitting here thinking about hunting, which is what I mostly do. 😁 I got to thinking about my longest shot on big game and was curious what everyone has taken as far as distance.

My farthest was around 250 yards on a cow elk at WMNWR with my furthest deer a doe at 180 yards at another refuge. Most of my shots are well within 100 yards and that is about my maximum anymore.

So what is your furthest shot and how far are you willing to reach out and touch one?
Mine was an antelope buck. Drew in in Cimaron county several years ago. 238 yards. 1956 model Colt, 30-06. 1 shot, dropped. That was by my buddies range finder. Shot doe at buddy’s estimate at 200+ yards. Gun was CZ, 6.5x55 I had never shot. Furthest I am willing to take depends on rifle. 30-06, 500 yards, probably. 6.5x55, 400 probably. I try to be ethical with my older eyes.

osu007

AKA: Fat Jack, Believer in God
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Now, how about closest?
I've shot several deer that were 15 ft directly below me, roundball went in the top of the head, exited through the bottom. Didn't have to look for them, and didn't waste any meat.
My closest was about 10 ft. Directly under me. Couldn’t position rifle. Used Ruger 4 5/8”, 44 mag.

Preacherman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My longest shot was on a doe in 2020 @ 568yds with a 13mph cross wind. This is not typical for me and so there is a story behind it. I was hunting at Canadian River Hilton Hunting Lodge in Crawford, OK. The owner allowed me to use his custom 6.47 with his custom load and a tripod. He was the guide and spotter. My part was easy as all I had to do was dial in the clicks that he advised and then hold steady and pull the trigger. On my own there is no way that I could do that. BTW his 6yr old daughter can hit steal out over a thousand yards w/his guidance and spotting. :) This is why I call it deer sniping and not hunting. The doe had no idea that I was there and she was in for a fight. LOL

Last edited:

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My longest shot was on a doe in 2020 @ 568yds with a 13mph cross wind. This is not typical for me and so there is a story behind it. I was hunting at Canadian River Hilton Hunting Lodge in Crawford, OK. The owner allowed me to use his custom 6.47 with his custom load and a tripod. He was the guide and spotter. My part was easy as all I had to do was dial in the clicks that he advised and then hold steady and pull the trigger. On my own there is no way that I could do that. BTW his 6yr old daughter can hit steal out over a thousand yards w/his guidance and spotting. :)
Good data and shooting fundamentals is all it takes.

Latest posts

Top Bottom