Shotgun Ideas for Sporting Clays and Opinion of Red Castle Please

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buzz70

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just recently shot a sporting clays charity event for the Boy Scouts out at Red Castle called Shooting Stars. This is the 3rd year I've attended and have had a great time. I've always borrowed a shotgun as I've always been into pistols and rifles. Well I'm thinking I want to get more into the sport so I actually have two questions:
1. From all the reading and research I've done RC seems like a great club. What is your take on RC's membership, got any good or bad information to share?
2. What are some things I need to consider when purchasing a shotgun for sporting clays use? Currently I have a 20ga pump; however I don't like pumps for skeet or sporting clays. I'm looking at either an O/U (no Stoegers) or semi-auto, can be 12ga or 20ga.

BMPregler

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you are into shotgun sports Red Castle is great but from Owasso it is a drive. Tulsa gun club has trap, skeet and 5 stand and is right down the road from you.

Guns are a matter of personal choice. For a semi auto, my go to is the Remington, although Benelli and Beretta make fine guns also. For a decent starter O/U I would look at a Browning.

Go down to Sportsworld and handle them all.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Not only would I hold as many as possible, I'd try to go shoot as many as possible. Don't over look a CZ when looking at O/U's. Beretta 400xcel is almost unequaled in a semi-auto. What's your budget? IMO there is no reason to spend over $1K on a O/U.

ProBusiness

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have been shooting skeet/trap since 1998. Pretty much every week (except for lately). Have seen a lot of guns and brands shot.

I would recommend a browning o/u 28" or 30" barrels.

I have seen a LOT of other brands come out to shoot and it is not uncommon for them to stop working and go to a repair shop more than once.

Shooting 25 to 100 rounds/day over and over is different than hunting with a gun and shooting less then 50 rounds thru it a year.

there are a lot of good semis out there.

Buzz70

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for the input. I used to belong to Tulsa Gun Club; however let my membership lapse after the National Guard/bullet issue. If they ever build a Sporting Clays course I'd come back in a heartbeat. I will take the advise and head out to handle multiple guns. I've been to Sports World a few times and I remember they had quite a few shotguns. FWIW my budget would be right around 1K. I have an AR collecting dust that I may sell or trade, just thinking about it at the moment.

ProBusiness

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
currently at the Tulsa Gun club we have a 5-stand league which shoots each saturday. about 25 guys are competing at this time. i think start time 10. it is not sporting clays but it does not take that long to shoot 50 rounds and you see some pretty challenging shots. scott is changing the course pretty often so you get to see new targets.

jakerz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a CZ ringneck side by side with a 28" barrel that makes me feel like I'm almost cheating when shooting skeet (almost). I use it for pheasant hunting as well. O/U, I really like Berretta's and Brownings. But I sill prefer my side by side over the O/U's.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Going to Red Castle from Owasso is not bad if you learn the short cut. 106th? west to sperry then a little jog after peoria
continue west to 52nd west ave then left (south) to Rock school road, right on rock school(86thN?) to entrance.
Kind of difficult the first few times but will shave 15-30 minutes off travel time versus going into Tulsa.
I think theres a map on their website.

Latest posts

Top Bottom