Shotgun for sporting clays, dove, and pheasant?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WafflesX3

New to the site!
Reaction score
Well, you didn't mention budget.
Here is a little secret.......a single shot in competent hands will perform just as well as the most expensive shotgun out there. The disadvantage is the single shot.
Give us a little more info about what your wanting to spend. I shoot competition, but shoot a lot more hunting small game and upland specie.
I've probably killed more dove with a H&R single shot .410 than ever with a 12 ga. Reason was at the time it was the only gun I owned and had to learn to hit with it. Range was 15-20 yds max. One had to learn to be a better hunter vs having a master blaster that covered the sky with pellets out to 40+ yds.
Some think you have to use a 3 1/2", 2oz load of fancy Bismuth pellets to kill a turkey or duck. Not true. One needs to be a better hunter with the weapon you own.

Good point. Budget is a little tight. I'd like to keep it under $1000. The A300, blued, runs about $800 on the Bass Pro/Cabelas web sites. I could do that, but I have to agree with you, put a million dollar gold plated blunderbuss of the gods in my hands and I doubt it'd make me a better shot. Basically, I've got my head wrapped around getting a semiauto 12-gauge and I'd like to spend my money wisely.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I agree with a semi-auto for a couple of reasons. IMHO its a better weapon for home defense, and if shooting game/clays, its much faster than a pump gun although some might disagree with that statement.
They do have to be properly maintained to have optimum reliability.
The Rem 1100 has been around for years. Current prices run from $400-600 depending on quality and grade. I have two, with zero failures over the years while hunting and trap shooting.
Benelli's and other mid range price shotguns run consistently as well.
I'm going to go against the grain here, but I've owned a couple of Low end Mossberg's, and I wouldn't risk my life with any of them. One was an AT-600 Police only Issue. That thing was the most unreliable gun I've ever used. It went through several gunsmiths and never got better. Some say they get good reliability out of Mossberg's, I never could.

bluegrassZ71

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Can't go wrong with an 1100 for the money! I would look for one with a 28" vent rib barrel and screw in chokes so you'll be able to use it for all disciplines. The 11-87 is the same gun but allows you to shoot 3" shells in case you ever decide to hunt waterfowl. One note on the 11-87, look for an older model...they are made better than the new 11-87 you see at Dick's, Academy, etc.

The A300 is also nice but I don't have as much experience with it yet...only used it for one a half waterfowl seasons so it doesn't hasn't seen tons of use so far.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom