Should I even try to get into reloading right now?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AtomicTango

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Hornady is a true 5 station. One station is not used for priming. I personally don't use a powder cop die in my 5th station. I have always used a taper crimp die as a separate operation, so that is what takes of the 5th spot on mine.

What is the benefit of having the separate taper crimp?

ASP785

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I could tell you why, but Sierra Bullets has a few more years of experience than I do:

"Most seating dies will also crimp if the die is adjusted lower. Before the bullet is completely seated, the die is trying to crimp, and the crimp is trying to dig into the bullet jacket before it is seated to the correct depth. Crimp dies are inexpensive and you will get a much nicer loaded round by seating first and then crimping in a separate stage, whether it be roll, taper, or full profile crimp."

If you want to still run the powder cop die, Hornady offers a powder through expander system to expand the case necks and charge the powder in one step. The Lock N Load die changing system makes caliber changes extremely fast.

The Dillon presses have a huge following and are the industry standard. I just always questioned why the company would need to sell a replacement parts kit for their presses that have a lifetime warranty. There are quite a few small parts on the Dillon that the Hornady just doesn't have. I am biased as others are about the Dillon. I don't have any relation to Hornady other than being a loyal customer. I just want to make sure you are making an informed decision.

okietom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Hornady is a true 5 station. One station is not used for priming. I personally don't use a powder cop die in my 5th station. I have always used a taper crimp die as a separate operation, so that is what takes of the 5th spot on mine.

The Dillons charge the powder thru the expander. From the YouTube video I saw the Hornady flares at one station and charges power at the next one. Maybe it can be set up to charge and flare at the same spot. I don't know.

ASP785

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah it is an optional add on for the Hornady. I don't use mine that way. That makes sense now what you are saying in the 4 vs 5 position. It seems the way I have mine set up is the same as a 4 position Dillon.

AtomicTango

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Gotcha, that makes sense. I'm not worried about having a powder cop right away, I'd rather get good functionality down first. Thanks ASP785.

Dillon...I have a 550 and have loaded thousands of troble free rounds...also if auto indexing is that important to you look at the Dillon 650. You cant go wrong.

One thing I've learned for sure in my reading is that there's no shortage of supporters on both sides in the Red vs. Blue debate, haha. Great things on both sides, my only hang up is that I get a fifth station and auto index on the LNL for the same price as the 550. But do I really need auto index? Maybe not.

Latest posts

Top Bottom