Showing off my new varmint build...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok, well, this was my first from-scratch, all self-done rifle. I'm pretty proud, and happy with the way it turned out.

Spike's punisher lower
RRA LPK
JP 3.5 lb trigger spring kit
Mako Isreali Defense pistol grip
Ultimate Arms Gear stock and rifle buffer and tube
Aero Precision upper
AR Stoner NiB BCG
Wilson Combat 24" .223 Wylde 1:8 stainless bull barrel
LP gas block from Brownell's (forget whose)
Samson extended-rifle-length Evolution handguard
Vortex Crossfire II 3-9x40 rifle scope in a PEPR mount

i236.photobucket.com_albums_ff121_tRdoc_20130322_013133_zpsf1e0e177.jpg

I'll eventually be upgrading the stock to something sexier, but for now, I was just interested in getting it built.

Total cost to me was something like... maybe $1500. Got the lower and LPK well before all the craziness. I'm guessing I could sell it at a show for a hefty profit on the right day, but I'm really not wanting to sell it, nor lug this heavy beast all around Wanenmacher's for 2 days! lol

So, lemme know what ya think, and suggestions for any upgrades?

Sgt Dog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
+1 on the handguard. Been away from this class of weapon for a long time (since military days) but got caught up in the craze and just purchased one to stand defiantly along side the M1A. It has a Spikes lower too. Need some time for prices to settle so I can get some supplies, get to know the rifle and start reloading for it.

Johnny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Supernice build man. I dig the Samson tube, but is there a way to mount a bipod to it? Could prolly get away with shooting sticks.

I would have probably gone with a fixed A2 buttstock just for looks. Just me though. Like I said Supernice bada$$ build. Don't forget to let us know how I shoots.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Supernice build man. I dig the Samson tube, but is there a way to mount a bipod to it? Could prolly get away with shooting sticks.

I would have probably gone with a fixed A2 buttstock just for looks. Just me though. Like I said Supernice bada$$ build. Don't forget to let us know how I shoots.

Yes, the Evolutions from Samson have a modular rail system. It came with a 3" and a 4" section. Just haven't mounted them, as I don't have a bipod yet. It is on my list, for sure.

First thing that screams at me is some Butler Creek flip ups then ditch the scope bikini. Maybe a MOE rifle stock or an A2.
NO KIDDING, RIGHT???

Ok, funny story... I had a bikini job on my Vortex Sparc that's been busted and gone forever. I kept telling myself I needed to get some Butler Creeks for the Sparc, but kept forgetting, putting it off, whatever. Had even done the research to figure out which pair I needed and looked at them online multiple times, but never actually got around to ordering them. Sooooo... fast forward (a year plus) to this build and I thought, well, I am getting another optic, I should just order some Butler Creeks for both. So I did. Got 'em on my Sparc, but didn't have the Xfire2 mounted yet, so I left the others in the package. And apparently somewhere in the cleaning phase of all the assorted boxes, bags, trash and other crap getting taken out to the dumpster, they disappeared. I am assuming they were still in a box somewhere that got tossed. Dammit! So now I get to order another set. <sigh>

Is the scope on sideways?

Yeah, I was in a hurry and didn't pay attention. It was late, I was tired. I'll get it fixed up today.

Thanks for all the kind words, guys! I am really excited about this build. It's got some kinks to work out, to be sure, but hopefully I will have time and energy to do it. :D

I am LOVING this hobby! And yes, the feeling of accomplishment in personally "building" such a nice rifle is something else!

Peace_Maker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I forgot to say this is a nice looking build. On the butler creek flip ups, I looked at a few sights and it seemed SWFA was the cheapest, I ordered three sets and since they were in Texas they shipped that day and arrived the next day, I'm amazed at how fast I receive orders from Primary Arms and SWFA. Good choice on the Vortex scope, I have two Viper Pst's and I love them.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
As far as fixed stocks go, I'd still like to try the MagPul MOE rifle. However, the VLTOR A2 is a good choice, and what I have now. They still have the FDE and green A2/clubfoot models on clearance for $50 here. Great deal in my opinion. If you don't like the color, people have successfully dyed them black. I think mine was like $58 something shipped.

I like the handguard too. I'd like to feel one of the Samson Evo's, but as of now my choice is between that and the Troy Alpha. I like the MI Gen2 SS, but it's a little thin for my paws.

Here's the FDE A2 clubfoot on my AR.

i157.photobucket.com_albums_t52_m5stingray18_Guns_18in_20CMMG_413c4dd087d7e6d52bd44200e958f4c3.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom