SHTF Electric Power…

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would love to have one of the emergency systems. A small wind and a solar panel that has a battery and is probably able to power my O2 and a few other small things.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Solar Generators…I have 14 and unlimited perpetual fuel, all are Pure Sine.
They are silent- in a SHTF World nobody will hear them running. Plus I use them daily around my house and have cut my draw from The Grid by 35-40%
Just bought the Pro version of this yesterday to run lights, chargers, and a radio in my shed. Too much hassle to run a line since my panel is full. I'll grab a cheap solar panel eventually and can always charge it with my honda EU1000i. I plan on running the small 5000 BTU AC off the Honda or this with the Honda charging it depending on how well it all works out. I also thought about building my own system but these are far and away easier and cheaper to boot. For large systems it's different.

https://www.ecoflow.com/us/river-2-portable-power-station
For those that are looking it's hard to separate the "paid reviewers" from the objective viewers on this stuff. EcoFlo seems to be the best of the bunch but there are other good ones out there.

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Underground propane tanks and standby by generators. Have a RV that is totally self sustained by solar.

Researching solar for a battery backup on a home as well. It is wild the differing Solar Companies out there. In our case so far about 90% are not legit, the solar panels the non legit are hawking are so inferior in many ways. The most important is strength to prevent damage.

This is EXACTLY why I've stayed away from it so far. Snake oil salesmen bring out the worst of me. I will unload on an ******* SO quick -- I almost feel bad for Grumpy when they set me off. I LOATHE people who treat me like I'm stupid and start being all pushy about how I spend my money.

But if some of these guys can show me where to go and get edumacated I'll be really interested in setting up a system here. I've got a neighbor who owns his own construction biz and he and his son-in-law are really sweet guys. Anything I've asked them about they've been really helpful. I need to drag the lawn chairs out front and invite them down for a beer when the weather cools off a bit.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Lol I LOVE you!! 😂😂 Short sweet and to the point! (And EXACTLY what I was gonna say! 😂😂😂😂)

I keep thinking I want to try to add solar but I don't know ANYTHING about it and ... Well ... Talk to us! Like we are idiots -- well at least at me like I am an idiot! Because I am about solar anyway ...

We have a contractor coming out to out a generac on the house this coming spring (I know I know I know -- our power will probably go out in December and not get hooked back up until March with my luck lol) but ... Still ...

Thanks!!
Spring? ??? :faint:

Faith Electric out of Edmond did my mom's. They must have done it right, because she's had ZERO problems with it. It was a life saver during the polar vortex. She was right in the middle of chemo/radiation when that hit. It ran for 9 days and it was just like never losing power.

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Faith Electric out of Edmond did my mom's. They must have done it right, because she's had ZERO problems with it. It was a life saver during the polar vortex. She was right in the middle of chemo/radiation when that hit. It ran for 9 days and it was just like never losing power.

Yeah ... The money dedicated for the remodel is tied up in one of our investment accounts and Grumpy isn't quite old enough to tap it yet. What??!?!?! You didn't think I was gonna use "my" money did you?? 😉😂😂😂

We actually hired an electrician to get one put in last spring but he ****ed around and I finally just wrote him off. Six months later he texts me and wants to know when I'm gonna pay him for the job he did. 😳😡😡😡😡 He hasn't bothered me since then. 😈

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Underground propane tanks and standby by generators. Have a RV that is totally self sustained by solar.

Researching solar for a battery backup on a home as well. It is wild the differing Solar Companies out there. In our case so far about 90% are not legit, the solar panels the non legit are hawking are so inferior in many ways. The most important is strength to prevent damage.

This is EXACTLY why I've stayed away from it so far. Snake oil salesmen bring out the worst of me. I will unload on an ******* SO quick -- I almost feel bad for Grumpy when they set me off. I LOATHE people who treat me like I'm stupid and start being all pushy about how I spend my money.

But if some of these guys can show me where to go and get edumacated I'll be really interested in setting up a system here. I've got a neighbor who owns his own construction biz and he and his son-in-law are really sweet guys. Anything I've asked them about they've been really helpful. I need to drag the lawn chairs out front and invite them down for a beer when the weather cools off a bit.
@Mr.Glock is correct I think. The whole marketing thing is a giant scam, IMO.

My next door neighbor had a bunch of panels put up. Couple of weeks later the contractor was in his house all day, I'm assuming connecting the inverter and turning it on after inspection. Guess not... A few days later that, a crew shows up at about 5:00PM and hops up on the roof and takes EVERTHING off.

This is just me guessing here, but two days after that a semi truck pulled up and unloaded roofing supplies. I'm guessing that it wouldn't pass inspection since they were actually missing shingles and had bare decking showing in spots. They now have a nice new roof, I don't know if the panels are going to go back up or not, The signs are still in their yard, but what freaking kind of contractor would even agree to install on a roof in that condition?

Also, these people are of retired age. There's zero chance they get their investment back before they die. The man there can't even mow his yard, he has a nephew come over a couple times a month and do it. Solar panel systems are a 20-30 year pay back proposition, but they spin it like it's the greatest thing ever. I have no love at all for these companies...

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Lol I LOVE you!! 😂😂 Short sweet and to the point! (And EXACTLY what I was gonna say! 😂😂😂😂)

I keep thinking I want to try to add solar but I don't know ANYTHING about it and ... Well ... Talk to us! Like we are idiots -- well at least at me like I am an idiot! Because I am about solar anyway ...

We have a contractor coming out to out a generac on the house this coming spring (I know I know I know -- our power will probably go out in December and not get hooked back up until March with my luck lol) but ... Still ...

Thanks!!
I also went generac. the math for solar didn't work for me in Oklahoma. I guess if i can't get gas service we would be screwed but that isn't likely in a regular outage.

Chief Sapulpa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Where they bust the sod in South Tulsa County.

Thanks!!
Make sure you don’t get sold more power than you need. Size it for HVAC, refrigeration and lighting. You can load shed unnecessary stuff like anything that has high resistance like toaster, hair dryers, etc. If you have electric oven and cook top include that in your sizing.
Lighting load can be low if you have LED’s.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I do know that if we do any Solar it will not be on the Home. It will sit independently out aways from the home.

The subject of the roof damage and such above as well as discussing it with varying companies, there is no way in hell I‘d consider it on roof unless absolutely impossible to put anywhere else. Then I would ensure that an Owners Insurance Company is involved and written proof on the demo/removal and reinstall of said panels that covers the roof section they are installed on when suffering roof issues. Get everything in writing on who is responsible for such situations.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

That company came highly recommended by several people. They must be a solid company.

Latest posts

Top Bottom