Sighting in a pistol

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stackle2

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I use the 25 meter M9 qualification target, available at most surplus shops for next to nothing. They are human silhouette targets, excellent for self defense practice as well.

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I like to use unmarked paper plates stapled to a RR tie or fence posts, at any rate the posts will get chewed up and have to be replaced, so keep it simple. I'll start at a ridiculously close distance like ten feet, aiming @ center mass - to get an idea if the sights are off center. Then I increase distance, moving back farther and adjusting the windage and elevation screws until I'm point of aim. point of impact @ 75 feet. Bullets have a lot do do with accuracy in a handgun at distance; cheap melt down lead cast bullets often tend to have micro bubbles in them and this throws off the spin.

Des547

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
As 0311 above says, paper plates are cheap and approximate the center of mass of an adult human. If you are testing the pistol for bullet placement and accuracy use a rest. I check the bullet placement at about 15 yards to begin. This is a bit beyond the recommend defence training distance of 21 feet but I like to shoot targets way beyond that. Set your sights the way you like them, if they are adjustable for such. I prefer a 6 o'clock hold, target sitting on top of the front sight but some folks prefer the point of aim/point of impact sight picture wherein the bullet hits what the front sight is covering. If that sight in is satisfactory then move your target forward or back, adjust your sights for the anticipated ranges you expect to shot at and let them rip.

After a while of shooting you may want to try further range without readjusting your sights, experimenting with hold over and Kentucky windage for longer ranges. A few pop cans and a .22lr or .38 special at 100 yards is great fun and great practice in trigger and breath control.

Be safe,

Des

Latest posts

Top Bottom