Simple question - What is the reason for the restriction roll mark to LE and Military only on some Colt's AR15'?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XYZ

Ribertarian
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Outdoors America had a LEO only section. For the most part it was mostly stuff cops wanted at discount prices. I bought a couple Glocks from them and I kinda remember about a 10% discount. Which was significant considering how cheap OA already was.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's true. It's a manufacturer and distributor thing, not a legal thing. Many distributors and gun/ammo manufacturers require dealers to sign certain agreements in order to sell certain products marketed to law enforcement. Dealers risk losing access to those brands if they violate agreements. I don't know the ins and outs of why some makers do that...probably liability, real or perceived or otherwise.
So how do the restricted items end up in homes and then for sale to other buyers? You would think that would be a red flag for the ATF types.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So lets discuss LEO only ammo.
The last time I was in a couple of OKC gun shops, there was a section of ammo that said LEO only. One had to have a CLEET cert to purchase that ammo. I was at H&H one day and tried on a whim to buy a box of .40 that was labeled LEO only and was declined.
Did a little internet research and still don't understand WTF is so special about that ammo.
It's nothing I can't load at home, has commercial bullets available to anyone and the velocities of the LEO only are not spectacular, just run of the mill velocities.
Just remembered being in a gun shop many years ago on Pennsylvania I think it was in OKC that had LEO only shotguns in a special rack. Maybe an 8 round magazine, nothing more than could be bought on the open market and installed on the shotgun. What was up with the shotguns?
Thank you for that!
I had a box of Federal "Dove and Quail", I had a box of Winchester "Hog" loads, and some Remington "Deer" loads.
I also have some .40 caliber "LEO" loads. Totally misunderstood that one...

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So how do the restricted items end up in homes and then for sale to other buyers? You would think that would be a red flag for the ATF types.

Because retailers sell them. It's not illegal. Not to mention you can often find them for sale online from major online ammo retailers who take LE trade-in stuff. Usually bargain-priced, too.

Some stuff that's marketed to LE but isn't necessarily marked as "LE ONLY" might not be the best for use by Joe Citizen even though it's available to the general public. Hornady Critical Duty vs Hornady Critical Defense is a perfect example:

OneMoreEvan

Snake Eater
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So lets discuss LEO only ammo.
The last time I was in a couple of OKC gun shops, there was a section of ammo that said LEO only. One had to have a CLEET cert to purchase that ammo. I was at H&H one day and tried on a whim to buy a box of .40 that was labeled LEO only and was declined.
Did a little internet research and still don't understand WTF is so special about that ammo.
It's nothing I can't load at home, has commercial bullets available to anyone and the velocities of the LEO only are not spectacular, just run of the mill velocities.
Just remembered being in a gun shop many years ago on Pennsylvania I think it was in OKC that had LEO only shotguns in a special rack. Maybe an 8 round magazine, nothing more than could be bought on the open market and installed on the shotgun. What was up with the shotguns?
I think the ammo thing is just a distributor thing, I bought a few boxes of Winchester Ranger LEO marked boxes at a gun shop in Texas a few years ago. I’m pretty far from looking like a cop, considering I have 2 sleeve tattoos, both hands tatted and (had) a big beard at the time 🤣

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think the ammo thing is just a distributor thing, I bought a few boxes of Winchester Ranger LEO marked boxes at a gun shop in Texas a few years ago. I’m pretty far from looking like a cop, considering I have 2 sleeve tattoos, both hands tatted and (had) a big beard at the time 🤣
Sounds just like a undercover cop lol

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Because retailers sell them. It's not illegal. Not to mention you can often find them for sale online from major online ammo retailers who take LE trade-in stuff. Usually bargain-priced, too.

Some stuff that's marketed to LE but isn't necessarily marked as "LE ONLY" might not be the best for use by Joe Citizen even though it's available to the general public. Hornady Critical Duty vs Hornady Critical Defense is a perfect example:

Why wouldn't non-leo want either one? I've read many reports of people having to fire through their windshields or barriers in the home. I certainly would want the critical duty ammo to penetrate a sheet rock wall in the home against an intruder that thought that gave them cover.

Latest posts

Top Bottom