Slide Release on Glock 43

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's actually a Slide Lock; the best way to chamber that first round, IM, is to pull and release the slide, letting it go forward and chambering the cartridge. Careful not to ride the slide; let it go home!

This reply is what should be done. I am not clear on why she is having to push the slide home. I realize it is expensive, but a good class is invaluable. If money is an issue, there are a number of people on here who would give some instruction for an hour or two for free. (That is a little presumptuous.... )

E

Old rookie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Her pistol is stored slide locked open, no magazine. When she needs it, the drill is load magazine, depress slide lock, and she is Condition 1.
The method suggested of racking the slide certainly is workable, preferred by many, taught by all instructors, but not our choice for her use. The logic there being depressing the slide lock to release the slide and let it chamber the first round is faster, and for her, requires less manipulation of the weapon than loading the magazine, then racking the slide.
Room for lots of good perspectives and approaches to this; I'm trying to get the easiest routine that results in her having a live round chambered fastest.

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Her pistol is stored slide locked open, no magazine. When she needs it, the drill is load magazine, depress slide lock, and she is Condition 1.
The method suggested of racking the slide certainly is workable, preferred by many, taught by all instructors, but not our choice for her use. The logic there being depressing the slide lock to release the slide and let it chamber the first round is faster, and for her, requires less manipulation of the weapon than loading the magazine, then racking the slide.
Room for lots of good perspectives and approaches to this; I'm trying to get the easiest routine that results in her having a live round chambered fastest.

But the logic isn't working is it? Faster for her will be to rack the slide, I've been through this with my wife, even with an extended release they don't have the finger strength many times to depress the lock.

I'm sure you have a reason for storing the pistol as you do, wouldn't be my choice though...

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Hmm. Not the way I'd recommend, but to each their own I suppose. Why not have a round chambered and the pistol in a kydex holster made for the gun to protect the trigger?

Old rookie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
FWIW, I wouldn't want my slide spring stored in a fully compressed state. But it's your call.
32524-ec8bc509650fa791f6db2f9f0a487a50.jpg

Do you store your mags empty then?

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Apples and oranges. Slide springs have a much more heavy duty job than mag springs.

Springs are springs, the effect of leaving them compressed is no different, and you can argue that both springs are equally important.

Do some research on the subject, it will enlighten you, but the net is, it's not an issue...

Latest posts

Top Bottom