Slide Release on Glock 43

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old rookie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Springs are springs, the effect of leaving them compressed is no different, and you can argue that both springs are equally important.

Do some research on the subject, it will enlighten you, but the net is, it's not an issue...

I know storing my own personal spring compressed REALLY affected it's ability to extend over time.... j/k :)

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Steel springs do not return 100% to their original shape forever, and the longer they are compressed, the less they tend to do so. This is why older vehicle springs eventually begin to sag.

Slide springs in normal use are fully compressed for only a fraction of a second.

Will storing it locked open make a noticeable difference? Depending how long it stays in this condition, maybe, maybe not.

Your guns, your call.
32524-ec8bc509650fa791f6db2f9f0a487a50.jpg

Actually car springs sag from use, they are not fully compressed, ever.

Like I said, do some research...

Gabriel42

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's actually a Slide Lock; the best way to chamber that first round, IM, is to pull and release the slide, letting it go forward and chambering the cartridge. Careful not to ride the slide; let it go home!

This. (as it pertains to reloads after a slide lock-back on an empty mag)

Hmm. Not the way I'd recommend, but to each their own I suppose. Why not have a round chambered and the pistol in a kydex holster made for the gun to protect the trigger?

And this.

Your current method is flawed. Working on her (or your, depending on the driving force behind the current method) comfort level on drawing a holstered, locked, and loaded pistol from a kydex holster in a purse, on body, or in/on nightstand would be time better spent and allow for varied carry options should she choose to later.

jhat

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's actually a Slide Lock; the best way to chamber that first round, IM, is to pull and release the slide, letting it go forward and chambering the cartridge. Careful not to ride the slide; let it go home!
That is my understanding of the proper method to chamber a Glock when the slide is locked back. The slide stop is what the name implies. Not designed for loading.

Old rookie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, wife and I went to range yesterday (Big Boys Guns, OKC - truly a GREAT range!!!), and we worked on the slide release. Her decision was in agreement with several of you, so THANKS!!!
She now loads the magazine, then racks the slide, and has already gotten more comfortable and faster on target with that procedure.
Thanks, everyone!!!

Helped correct some flawed thinking on my part, and a time-wasting self-defense procedure that ultimately was pretty risky in practice. Thanks again!:thanku:

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Excellent! Glad it's working out for you and the wife. As they say; if Momma ain't happy; ain't nobody gonna be happpy. I just back from Big Boys myself and now it's time to break out the cleaning gear and scrub-a-dub-dub these dirty guns of mine! Wife is going down to Frisco, TX on Sunday to see the Grandkids for a few days so I'll probably go back down there on Sunday/Monday again too, and do it all over again. I just swapped scopes out on a couple of .22 rifles so I have to go through the whole sight-in procedure again (oh darn). I have to go shoot some more...pity; that. Plus, today was .22 and .45 pistol day, I need to take my own Glock 43 down and make sure I can still hit that big-ass target.

Latest posts

Top Bottom