Small Property Thoughts

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AllOut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hard to find on this side of the state, is it easily found over there? Arkansas product I assume?

Ya, most co-ops carry it around here. A lot of guys wouldn't buy it cause it was a lot more than corn. Now corn cost more LOL. If you put it out next to corn they will destroy all the RB before touching the corn.
I can bring you some next time we are out that way if you want any.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Ya, most co-ops carry it around here. A lot of guys wouldn't buy it cause it was a lot more than corn. Now corn cost more LOL. If you put it out next to corn they will destroy all the RB before touching the corn.
I can bring you some next time we are out that way if you want any.

I probably already know the answer to this question, but do the racoons destroy the RB like they do corn and wheat cleanings? I'd try a couple of bags if you think to bring some this way, I've got a couple of sources for wheat cleanings and corn that I pay next to nothing for so it would be hard to justifiy me switching over to RB, how much is a bag?

AllOut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's one of the great parts about RB, coons and squirrels don't really mess with it. You can pour it on the ground and not worry about it.
IIRC it was about $6 for 40lb last year.
I'll give you a shout before we head out and I'll bring some for you to try.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
That's one of the great parts about RB, coons and squirrels don't really mess with it. You can pour it on the ground and not worry about it.
IIRC it was about $6 for 40lb last year.
I'll give you a shout before we head out and I'll bring some for you to try.

Sounds good, let me know on the price, I may have you bring several if you have room, especially if it's coon proof.

WacosSon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for the good advice so far guys. Sorry I've been away a few days. I'm thinking that most of the activity, if there is any, is happening at night. I've seen a bit of sign in the woods, but between the horrendous ticks in late spring and our hot summer, I haven't gotten out as much as I should. Shooting for this weekend.

The goal would be to bring them onto my acreage. Not really concerned with keeping them there long term, more of honey-hole for them. I think for this season I'm going to try to corn/RB option and see what we got. If I can find any kind of activity, I'll think about the mid-woods food plot idea. Would take a bit more clearing than just leaves, but would definitely be do-able. I'm not wanting to invest alot until I know that there's actually something out here worth bringing down. That property wasn't purchased to hunt on, it was bought for the house, so anything out there is just gonna be a plus for me. Thanks for the suggestion about staying away from the big names. I've had the best luck on cheap corn in the past anyway. Just wanted to make sure I put out something good and potent since I'm not thinking the property is currently a deer superhighway.

bobed

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a similar situation and have been trying to figure out other alternatives to corn. I have been researching online and ran across info on a homemade mineral site? They mix salt, minerals for cows, and sodium phosphate? Has anyone done this and does it work?

tjones96761

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I do home-made mineral. way cheaper than anything store bought. I can't say it does anything earth shattering about huge racks or anything. They hit it hard in the spring, lay off it in the fall.
The cheapest "attractant" I use is molasses. all feed co-ops have it to make sweet feed. I think I paid 75 bucks for a 55 gal drum last year and still using it this year. ZERO feed value, but I can smell it a mile away, I have no idea how far deer can smell it. Good for pictures.
Find a stump or log that's decomped to the point of being spongy. apply liberally. dump some salt on top to get a salty/sweet, or do just molasses. They'll chew a stump down to nothing.
neighbors on all 4 sides do corn feeders, alfalfa, wheat, rye, or some biologic-type something, so I have to get creative.

Latest posts

Top Bottom