Smoking a Ham

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ewheeley

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm going hog and varmint hunting this weekend, and the land I'll be on is out in the sticks. No electricity for quite a ways. I'm being optimistic in thinking that I'll be able to shoot a few hogs. The main reason is to cull the hog population on a friend's prime deer spot, but I'd love to walk away with some meat as well. Is there a decent way to smoke the meat on site?

badaugherty

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You should really freeze the meat for a while before smoking it. Smoking doesn't get the internal temperature up enough to kill off things like trichinosis which feral hogs are known to carry.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
anytime I smoke meats (pecan or hickory)... 160 degree is my minimum before pulling from smoker. a known to be accurate thermometer is ALWAYS used.

for pork roasts... I like 180f degree internal temps. 160 f for pork tenderloin.

calibration is done by placing thermometer in a glass of ice water (loads of ice) temperature should be exactly 32 deg F or it's not right.

--------
The roundworm Trichinella spiralis is killed at about 140 degrees F (actually at 137 degrees F). Because thermometers can be inaccurate, most experts recommend cooking to 150 degrees F.

You should really freeze the meat for a while before smoking it. Smoking doesn't get the internal temperature up enough to kill off things like trichinosis which feral hogs are known to carry.

ewheeley

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
He can be nice at times, but usually he's pretty arrogant. Most of the time I only hang out with him because I feel sorry for him.

Haha Brad it took me a second before I realized it was you. Loser.

Latest posts

Top Bottom