Snake Hunting?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reginald Murray

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would be more concerned with a Great Horned Owl getting that Chihuahua that I would about it getting snake bit. On a lighter note ... that's Emily Sinovic in the picture with me. She was the Fox23 reporter on the scene at the time the story was done. We hope to make some more "all inclusive and clear" videos in the near future.

ef9turbo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would be more concerned with a Great Horned Owl getting that Chihuahua that I would about it getting snake bit. On a lighter note ... that's Emily Sinovic in the picture with me. She was the Fox23 reporter on the scene at the time the story was done. We hope to make some more "all inclusive and clear" videos in the near future.

I'm not too worried about an owl. I haven't seen any in this area, not that they aren't here. I usually go out with him during the night hours with a gun, just incase something bigger then him tries to eat him ;) Yeah, I know, a little extreme, but he's 7lbs and no way could take on anything larger then him. My wife and I don't have kids yet, so he's temporarily our child, so I will protect him and talk later. :P

Reginald Murray

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dennishoddy
ALL SNAKES in the U.S. that are poisonous have elliptical eye pupils.
Non-poisonous snakes have round ones.

This rule does not hold for snakes outside of the U.S....

This rule is not true inside the United States either ... the Eastern Coral Snake is our exception, both a round pupil, and one of our most toxic snakes in regards of its venom.

aryfrosty

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's good info but I refer you to my earlier post wherein I posted my former wife's "Rules For Snakes" on our little farm...If it doesn't have legs, it's a snake. If it doesn't have a sign hanging around its' neck saying it is not a rattlesnake then it IS a rattlesnake!!
We raised purebred Weimariners and a crop of kids on our place and we could NOT afford to take chances with the kids or the dogs. Don't know if anyone here has had Weimers but they are the dumbest dogs in the world about snakes. One of ours was bitten several times by copperheads. She'd get over the bite and go back "to see" again and here we go again. The vet and I both gave in and he gave me IV steroids that I'd give one of they were slow in getting better. Several of our cats weren't so lucky. Always heard a cat around would keep snakes away. One of the big farm tomcats was found stonecold and stiff one morning by the kids with his arm down a hole in the berm of the pool. Small rattler came boiling out of there when I poured water and bleach down. He did not survive the application of 2,000 grains of common garden hoe to the top of his neck. Hardly a morning passed in summer when I didn't scoop up a copperhead or small rattler from our pool. Went in to drink and were too small to get out. I understand the arguments people have for leaving snakes alone. Wife and I didn't worry too much about ourselves because we always kept a sharp eye out...But we decided to rid the place of snakes for the kids sake. I don't care how many little varmints they ate...the snakes, not the kids...we had cats that kept the mice and rats at bay. It worked for us. We lost cats at times but no person was ever bitten while we were there. Mother in law came the closest...in summer she came over every morning to swim her laps in the pool. I heard her scream one morning and looked down to see her doing a pretty good job of running across the top of the water while screaming "snake" at the top of her lungs. She was swimming along and looked over to the side and there was a little copperhead swimming with her about two feet away. After that I had to check for snakes before she'd get in the pool.

:hyper:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We lost a Schizu to a copperhead. Putting in in the pen one night, it got bit on the snout. We got it to the vet, and got it whatever the vet gives one. I had the snake in a glass jar.
So he knew what it was.
the dog lived, but suffered seizures for a year afterward. Finally had to put my little buddy down...Sad day.

aryfrosty

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
We lost a Schizu to a copperhead. Putting in in the pen one night, it got bit on the snout. We got it to the vet, and got it whatever the vet gives one. I had the snake in a glass jar.
So he knew what it was.
the dog lived, but suffered seizures for a year afterward. Finally had to put my little buddy down...Sad day.

Our Vet gave me IV steroids for our dogs. Said the anti-venin didn't always work like it should on animals and that the steroids would help. I was a Police Officer/Paramedic and avoided the biggest drawback to the IV meds. That of needing to get an IV started. Actually dogs were easier to get an IV started on than any human I ever worked on. I kept 2 doses in the fridge at our pool house.

ignerntbend

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I grew up in terrible rattle snake country and there's nothin I hate more than a snake.
As for gathering up live snakes and taking them to town for the show, here's my opinion.
If that snake wrangler has the best luck, there'll be a few less snakes in the world, and that's good.
If he has the worst luck, there'll be one less damn fool in the world, and that aint so bad neither.

Latest posts

Top Bottom