snake identification

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harley1953

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rat snake.

I find the darn things a few times a year in my chicken house sucking down eggs.... They scare the crap out of me. My first impulse is always to kill them, but they do eat rats and mice so I try to leave them alone.... Usually relocate them when I see them in the hen house. Wife is the one who will grab them and put 'em in a bucket.

1mathom1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The cat eye thing only works "most" of the time here in OK.....and copperhead's DO have the cat eye thing.....as well as the "pit" between the nostril and eye.....but I don't like getting close enough to see the pit. Most of the poisonous snakes in OK fall into the pit viper category. Apparently there are coral snakes in far south OK....though I have never seen one.
Seen way too many of the others though. Came face to face....at about two feet....with a copperhead under the house. Had to find clean shorts. Ran over him the next day with the lawn mower. Nearly stepped on a diamondback down at Push County WMA during a black power hunt (that was the only thing I shot with my muzzle loader). Got his rattle. Have killed a couple of timber rattlers in the neighborhood with a 2 iron. I am usually better with the short irons but this time I needed all the length I could get....and the gun was too far away and the clubs where handy. Snagged a cottonmouth with a topwater lure fishing one of the Collins WMA ponds......Single Six with shot shells handled that one. The most agressive though was little foot long prairie rattler up by Alva...couple of miles from where my avatar pic was taken. He didn't want me around at ALL.....neither did I. I won.
Can you tell I don't like 'em?

www.oksnakes.org
www.noble.org/ag/wildlife/snakes/index.html

ef9turbo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hi,
I wouldn't go by that round eye rule conserning all snakes !
Have you checked out Copperheads or Cobras lately ! Just saying.
Jess

I agree. I saw my first copperhead last week. Someone caught it and put it in a jar(baby, approx' 12" long), which gave me a good chance to take a close look at it. The eyes were definitely round! Good looking snake, still needed to die.

50GI Jess

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well,
Yes, I heard about the "eye" rule but,
Check out one of the deadliest snakes like black mamba. Round eyes, garden snake like head etc.
Hey guys ! don't worry supper is on it's way...just grap it like this and cut here etc.
And you may...may have 2-3 hours left in your life...or so I heard.
Jess

crg1372

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well,
Yes, I heard about the "eye" rule but,
Check out one of the deadliest snakes like black mamba. Round eyes, garden snake like head etc.
Hey guys ! don't worry supper is on it's way...just grap it like this and cut here etc.
And you may...may have 2-3 hours left in your life...or so I heard.
Jess

The "eye" rules doesn't apply to all snakes. The coral snake is a relative of the black mamba and cobras, hence it has round eyes. North American pit vipers do have the cats eye though. That includes all species of rattlesnakes, the cottonmouth and the copperhead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom