snake identification

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cptnhowdy138

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No such thing as a poisonous snake since poison is ingested venomous is injected as for the cat eye rule it is not a good way to tell if a snake is venomous the best way is to grab the snake turn it over and look at its poopchute for those of you unfamiliar with snakes if the scales break off into two Going to the tip of the tail its not venomous if it doesn't break off into two then it is venomous boa constrictors have cat eyesr

MDT

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree. I saw my first copperhead last week. Someone caught it and put it in a jar(baby, approx' 12" long), which gave me a good chance to take a close look at it. The eyes were definitely round! Good looking snake, still needed to die.

EF9.....are you saying the "copperhead" you had in the jar had round pupils? If so, you did not have a copperhead in the jar. Maybe you were referring to the pic from the OP. Copperhead=pit viper=elliptical pupils....always

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hi,
I wouldn't go by that round eye rule concerning all snakes !
Have you checked out Copperheads or Cobras lately ! Just saying.
Jess

What JCW355 said is absolutely correct if your identifying snakes in the US.
Snakes in other countries do not have the
elliptical eye = poisonous
round eye = no poisonous
rule. The black mamba of Africa, probably the most poisonous of them all has round eyes, as well as others in Australia.

Only in the US!

So, get your face down there and check it out!!

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I agree. I saw my first copperhead last week. Someone caught it and put it in a jar(baby, approx' 12" long), which gave me a good chance to take a close look at it. The eyes were definitely round! Good looking snake, still needed to die.

I can assure you it was not a copperhead.

This is a copperhead. Note the eliptical eyes.

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v252_dennishoddy_DSC00603.jpg

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v252_dennishoddy_DSC00601.jpg

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's a Python. They are all Pythons.

And what's all this ******** about looking at their eyes. :ugh2: Hell, by the time I get done with one, they don't have any eyes! Or even a head for that matter! :cannon:

HAHA!! You sound like my wife:D

When she gets to them before me...its nothing but sparks and flying concrete dust from shovel action. She has shovels in every nook and cranny around the place just for that......
I'm on her like the smell on a rose, for killing the non-poisonious ones as they help us with rodent control in the country.

At least she never goes into my shop building anymore after opening the door and almost stepping on a 6' black snake curled up catching a little cool air coming under the door. :clap3:
I can take pics of the skin he/she shed if anybody wants to see it:D
Its hanging in my antler display in the shop.:D

crg1372

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No such thing as a poisonous snake since poison is ingested venomous is injected as for the cat eye rule it is not a good way to tell if a snake is venomous the best way is to grab the snake turn it over and look at its poopchute for those of you unfamiliar with snakes if the scales break off into two Going to the tip of the tail its not venomous if it doesn't break off into two then it is venomous boa constrictors have cat eyesr

The belly scale rule doesn't apply to coral snakes though.

Latest posts

Top Bottom