snake identification

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
ya ... right.. you want us to grab a possibly poisonous snake to find out if it's deadly?

Snakes and Poisonous Snake Identification in the U.S.A.
http://www.squidoo.com/poisonoussnakeidentification

No such thing as a poisonous snake since poison is ingested venomous is injected as for the cat eye rule it is not a good way to tell if a snake is venomous the best way is to grab the snake turn it over and look at its poopchute for those of you unfamiliar with snakes if the scales break off into two Going to the tip of the tail its not venomous if it doesn't break off into two then it is venomous boa constrictors have cat eyesr

MDT

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Pulp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Actually it's most likely a hybrid 'twixt a Texas Rat Snake or a Great Plains rat Snake and a Black Rat Snake. Too dark to be full blood Texan or Great Plains, and too much pattern to be full blood Black.

One exception to the elliptical pupil rule is the Texas Night Snake.

http://www.oksnakes.org/index.cfm?snakeID=25&venomous=0&patterned=0&striped=0&solid=0&all=0

It has elliptical pupils, yet non-venomous. I caught one on a field trip to the Black Mesa back when I was in college. I didn't know what it was when I found it, the important thing was I knew what it wasn't. My professor nearly had a coniption when he saw the elliptical pupils, but later calmed down when we ID'd it. They range throughout most of W. OK. It has smooth scales, while all of our pit vipers have keeled (a small ridge in the center of the scale) scales.

As far as Coral Snakes go, there is no OFFICIAL record of a Coral snake collected in Oklahoma. Notice I capitilized official. That doesn't mean their not here, just never been collected by professionals. We are on the very western edge of their range.

The anal plate, or the scale just anterior to the "poopchute" is not a good indicator either. While pit vipers have a single anal plate, so do many non-venomous snakes.

Go here to see photos of a bunch of Oklahoma snakes:
http://www.oksnakes.org/index.cfm?id=1

MDT

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
True about Texas Night snake having elliptical pupils....however it is rear fanged. Mildly toxic venom, not considered dangerous to humans. So, technically, the rule of "cats eyes" kinda holds true (I'm just being a butt :D)

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
True about Texas Night snake having elliptical pupils....however it is rear fanged. Mildly toxic venom, not considered dangerous to humans. So, technically, the rule of "cats eyes" kinda holds true (I'm just being a butt :D)

You guys help me......I went to a couple of snake seminars put on by a guy in Ok.
Supposed to the the world authority.......I just remembered.

Wasn't it Bob Jenny?
I got my info from him.

MDT

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There is a Bob Clark in OKC (I'm pretty sure), who is an authority on breeding pythons. He has an extensive collection and business regarding different morphs of retic pythons (among others). Was that the guy?

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
from the poisonous snake ID link above...

----------------

There are 4 types of venomous snakes in the U.S., with 20 sub-species residing in different geographical areas, climates and habitats. The 4 types are: rattlesnake, copperhead, cottonmouth or water moccasin, and coral snake. Of these, the rattlesnake is the most common and widespread throughout the U.S.

The rattlesnake, cottonmouth, and copperhead belong to the pit viper family and have similar triangular shaped wide heads, with a blunt snout and characteristic elliptical,cat-like pupils in their eyes. They have small pits between their eyes and snout, which can sense heat and help them to hunt for warm blooded prey, such as rodents, at night. As far as color patterns, these may vary according to the species, and age of the snake. Rattlesnakes of course also have small characteristic rattles at the end of their tail which produce a buzzing or rattling alarm when they feel threatened. Copperheads are also known to vibrate their tails when threatened, which can produce a similar sound if they are hiding in leaf litter.

Coral snakes belong to the elipad family (cobra, et al) and are best identified by their striking colors and banding. Other non-venomous snakes such as the king snake have similar markings which led to the following folk rhymes for identification, "Red and yellow, kill a fellow; red and black, friendly jack", and "Red and yellow, kill a fellow; red and black, venom lack". Although these rhymes are correct, they only apply to coral snakes found in North America.

Rattlesnakes can be found pretty much across the U.S., although again, in many northern states, they may be isolated in a few small areas. Copperheads are found primarily in the east and southeast areas of the U.S., from Texas to Massachusetts and are found in all types of terrain from forested areas to swamps. Cottonmouths are also found in the southeastern U.S. and are semi-aquatic, preferring swamps, lakes and rivers. The coral snake is found primarily in the deep south from Florida to Arizona and typically lives in undeveloped areas, from forests to desert.

All four of these types average around 30" long as adults, although some individuals and species grow longer. They are all predators who feed primarily on rodents, other small mammals,amphibians and other small reptiles. Because of this, they are very important parts of their eco-systems and should be left alone.

http://www.squidoo.com/poisonoussnakeidentification

Latest posts

Top Bottom