so i bought something through private sale..

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Depending on how the other party behaves, I may obscure that part of my ID. Or if he' just being an ass, he can walk. You want anonymity in a handgun purchase? Try a dark alley somewhere. I have no interest in putting deadly instrumentalities into the wrong hands.

So by looking at or copying someone's ID, you're somehow proving they are not bad guys? Please tell me how this works?

<edit> It honestly offers you nothing on the spot in terms of proof of legitimacy (other than saying that at least at one point in time they WERE an OK resident), but it does expose them to having their information in the hands of a private individual who may take proper precautions with keeping it safe or may not.

No thanks from my end.

pritch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Their license is proof they are a resident and of age. Their SDA license indicates that they've passed an OSBI background check and that the state of Oklahoma said they were okay to possess a handgun.

Don't like the terms, renegotiate them or don't do the deal. Good luck explaining to a jury that your anonymous firearm transaction met the Reasonable and Prudent Person standard.

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The only person who gets my info when I do a gun 'deal' is an FFL when I buy something new or do a transfer. Person to person its not required, I dont give it and I sure as hell dont ask for it. You want something from me to make yourself feel better then try and memorize my tag # when Im driving away. Almost all of my firearm 'deals' are thru friends in my life or posters here and some other gun forums I belong to, you cant and I wouldnt do deals with some Joe off the street met thru Craigslist, etc, like I do with music equipment that I buy/sell on almost a daily basis. I dont check that stuff either to see if its stolen or if theyre legal to drive there. $3-700 (average in most of my used gun purchases) is not breaking my bank to lose out on a sale or a buy if someone gets peepee'd about me not showing them my info or wanting to see theirs. BUT, if I know you and like you I may show it to you for the hellof it because I trust you, but that is rare, no one here that I have EVER dealt with has EVER asked for any ID, and Ive done twice as many deals with people thru this site as my feedback shows.

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Please document one instance where a private sale (without knowingly selling to a felon or otherwise ineligible person) has ever become an issue before a jury.

thanks.

I know one ATF agent who among other things does stings at gun shows "undercover." Ask him for his driver's license, and he will show you his real one (not OK).
Decline the sale because he's out of state, and he just shrugs and walks away.
Sell a gun to him without making an honest effort to find out if he is from OK, and guess what?
They get more than a few "undocumented dealers" that way too.

I used to shoot skeet with the Mid Atlantic ATF regional director, and he was quite candid: for every one they catch, they figure probably 300 illegal transactions. So do prosecute the sting sales because they are generally rock solid and easy. Just business to them.

I don't ask to copy your OK driver's license, but if you won't let me read it and look at your ugly mug shot, we aren't doing business. But then I'm not at every gun show "reducing my collection", either. And I'm not picking your gun up for you to save you a trip either (check with the guy in VA serving 5 for straw purchase).
You pays your money and you makes your choices..................

KOPBET

Duck of Death
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I know one ATF agent who among other things does stings at gun shows "undercover." Ask him for his driver's license, and he will show you his real one (not OK).
Sell a gun to him without making an honest effort to find out if he is from OK, and guess what?

The term "knowingly" comes into play if you don't proceed correctly. Of course, I suppose one could also ask if they are a felon, been dishonorably discharged, adjudicated mentally defective, renounced their citizenship, a fugitive from justice, addicted to controlled substances, blah, blah, blah.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Boehlertaught

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I wouldnt be offended if someone asked to see my DL or carry permit. They don't need the info off of either of them and I would not want them to have it. But, like others said, if you get their car tag number you've got all you need anyway...assumeing they are driving their own car. I make mental note of who I buy from name wise and the date of the transaction, as well as the price...for my records not for any other reason. I haven't sold anything in so long I'm not sure what I would do??? Maybe hold you hostage and demand to know the name of each of your gold fish.

JaredC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Their license is proof they are a resident and of age. Their SDA license indicates that they've passed an OSBI background check and that the state of Oklahoma said they were okay to possess a handgun.

Don't like the terms, renegotiate them or don't do the deal. Good luck explaining to a jury that your anonymous firearm transaction met the Reasonable and Prudent Person standard.

Ideology like this is one of the reasons we keep losing rights, a little bit at a time.

There is no law that states a private citizen has to check ID during an after market gun sale. So either post up a link of a documented case of someone getting arrested for not, which is what you are saying this ATF acquaintance is doing or............ you are just spreading fake internet BS :angry3:

I don't ask to copy your OK driver's license, but if you won't let me read it and look at your ugly mug shot, we aren't doing business. But then I'm not at every gun show "reducing my collection", either. .

I have no issue showing you my OK DL so that you can see the pic is me and that Im a resident of the state. But I wouldn't hand it to someone so they can copy info down.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom