So i got scope bit today......

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spooln-Rex

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
And eyebrow hurts like hell:explode:.

So i finally got my savage 110 sighted in this morning at 100yds. Its chambered for .270 winchester and has a bushnell sportview scope for glass. needless to say i dont know what i was doing wrong but it :pokeowned: my face about 5 times and decided to move to the ar for a bit. i was shooting 130gn federal soft points from walmart and it wasnt until about the 20th round i started having issues.

I was prone and had the rifle tucked into my shoulder with my left hand supporting the butt stock, bipod on the front. Would lay my head down on the stock and then move up till the scope became clear. press the trigger slowly and smoothly to the rear and then WAM and :insert proper adult term here:.

I like shooting the rifle but my god its got some pretty sharp recoil. Any advice from you target bolt guys on maybe if its something im doing wrong or maybe something i should look into would be great. either way it was a great morning to go shooting so still a good day none the less.

mmchambers06

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I got scoped by a 7mm rem ultra mag the first time I shot it...didn't let it happen again.

Gotta be something with your form. Tucking it in to the shoulder good? .270 win doesn't kick any harder than a .308.

Danny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've shot many a rifle and never had that happen. But, I do know of one guy that has a Savage 110 with synthetic stock that actually touched my glasses one time. Not hard, but it did touch. It seemed to kick like a mule. At the time, I was shooting a Browning White Gold Medallion in .300 Win Mag, and it never bothered me. I also used to have a Browning Stainless Stalker in .270 and it was a dream to shoot, even with the cheapo factory recoil pad. Maybe the Savage is just lighter than others.

I even shot a friends Remington 700 in .300 win mag that when you pulled the trigger, there was a slight delay before it would fire. Long enough delay that if you're not expecting it to do that, you raise your head up off the stock just as it goes off. It was a hell of a surprise, but I never got scope eye from it.

On the other hand, I have a goofy older brother that used to get scope eye from a .30-30.

Does it hit you like that when sitting at a bench, or from a kneeling position?

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
I got scoped by a 7mm rem ultra mag the first time I shot it...didn't let it happen again.

Gotta be something with your form. Tucking it in to the shoulder good? .270 win doesn't kick any harder than a .308.

If comparing the same rifles, .270 will kick a good bit harder than .308. .270 Win is necked down from the .30-06.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
With modern powders, a .308 is almost the equivalent of a 30-06 ballistically. If you look at recoil tables, the .270 and .308 are really close.

So, if you are comparing .270 to home loaded .308 that hot, shouldn't you be comparing to hot loaded .270 with modern powder?

I'm no chemist, but sheer case capacity of the .270 would mean to me the .270 wins out.

I don't feel like getting into a lot of physics right now. My head hurts as it is.

kalebiscool

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
How much eye actual eye relief does your scope have? I know i used to have a Sportview on my 7mm 110 that had very short eye relief... which hurts with FULL power 7 RM loads. My rifle came to me with that scope on it and it is really only marginally better than the factory Simmons they come with out of the box. It has a Leupy now. Strangely enough i also have a cheap Barska that shoots great, awesome reticle, and very clear optics ....only downside is that it is enormous. Anyway i digress.... could be a scope problem.

Spooln-Rex

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
ok well yea i had the stock nice and tight into my shoulder. I learned my lesson the first time out with it and it smacked the hell out of me.

And yea its got the synthetic stock this rifle doesnt weigh much at all which im sure contributes to the amount of felt recoil. As for the scope i dont have but maybe 2" worth of eye relief. especailly dialed up to 9x. almost thinking about getting a different scope for it and maybe puttin this one on the AR from time to time if i feel like doing long distance stuff. i looked at a nikon at walmart that was $150 i think but im in the process of selling off some car parts so maybe i can buy some new glass for this thing with some decent eye relief. I never have really felt like i can get comfortable with the gun in relation to where i have to set my cheek to get a clear sight picture. so that may be the issue. but like it touched my sunglasses a couple times so i took them off and did fine for a couple shots and then it really bit the hell out of me the last couple shots i took. It doesnt make you feel very good when your half scared the rifle may bite ya back when makin a shot lol.

Thanks for the replies guys!

bigcountryok

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When you mounted the scope, did you check it to see if its forward enough so that its at the edge of the eye relief when your holding the rifle. Unless you're not holding the rifle tight the scope shouldn't get you that often unless it's too close or has too little eye relief.

ETA: too late. Sounds like too little eye relief. I hate it when I get distracted in the middle of typing a post LOL.

Spooln-Rex

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yea i've had to move the scope back from originally getting it from my dad who never shot it before. after shooting it the first time out with it i was really having to work to get myself up to the scope and i moved it back as far as i could to get more comfortable with it. But yea the scope itself does not have good eye relief i think it would be better suited to a .223 or the like. The reticle and everything is really nice and clear and i like the scope just the eye relief blows......

Latest posts

Top Bottom