So you've outrun the Highway Patrol…

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Actually, I'm not a follower of Tennessee case law. Your point is?

This was a US Supreme court decision, not a Tennessee Supreme court decision.

The point is that felons flee regardless of whether or not lethal force is authorized solely for the purpose of prohibiting the felon from fleeing. The rimfire execution of a fleeing felon is not some magical deterrent. Just like how the death penalty does not successfully deter capital crimes.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
GForce89 said:
Steve McQueen was not in the Dirty Dozen. He was in The Great Escape. Jake is around 94 i think now. He is an awesome guy and I have got to sit down and talk with him a handful of times. I did a interview with him for a report on him during my senior year. It was awesome. He had lots of stories and was a funny guy. Him and my Grandpa are like 2 peas in a pod. Gonna miss them both when they go. My autographed copy of his filthy thirteen book is going in the ground with me.

Your right, it was the great escape. My memory failed me. :D

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
This was a US Supreme court decision, not a Tennessee Supreme court decision.

The point is that felons flee regardless of whether or not lethal force is authorized solely for the purpose of prohibiting the felon from fleeing. The rimfire execution of a fleeing felon is not some magical deterrent. Just like how the death penalty does not successfully deter capital crimes.

I'm not advocating deadly force to prevent fleeing. I'm advocating the use of deadly force for those willfully endangering the public.

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm not advocating deadly force to prevent fleeing. I'm advocating the use of deadly force for those willfully endangering the public.

Thats pretty subjective though. I dont want anybody... and I mean anybody... to have the willy nilly ability to decide if what I am doing is endangering the public specially if the resultant is death. That is a decision that needs to be made by a jury... not a badge.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thats pretty subjective though. I dont want anybody... and I mean anybody... to have the willy nilly ability to decide if what I am doing is endangering the public specially if the resultant is death. That is a decision that needs to be made by a jury... not a badge.

So if you pull a gun and start firing into a crowded shopping mall, we should not let an officer make the decision as to whether that situation is dangerous enough to require the use of deadly force to stop it? Seems pretty dumb to me... might as well have the guns taken away from police officers, since they're not equipped with the mental faculties required to make decisions about public safety and life and death.

But a "jury of 12" magically omnipotent people who weren't there and did not witness the event are.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

This. In cities like NYC, Chicago, the carrying of handguns is illegal. In OK, the open carrying of handguns (under most all circumstances) is illegal. The prohibitions exist because those who enacted them believe (either honestly, or a a guise) that the firearms endanger the public of their jurisdictions.

Would rimfire execution be the best punishment to curtail violations of such enactments?

Would rimfire execution be the best punishment to curtail violations of selling unhealthy food in schools?

Would rimfire execution be the best punishment to curtail violations of using mobile devices while driving?

I ask these legitimately. I linked legislation proposed by Senator Brian Crain, R-Tulsa, because he's not that far off from the views shared by you, or Rick Santorum, or a whole slew of others who tout themselves as conservatives but really want to put restrictions on people's personal liberties and freedom of choice.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
This. In cities like NYC, Chicago, the carrying of handguns is illegal. In OK, the open carrying of handguns (under most all circumstances) is illegal. The prohibitions exist because those who enacted them believe (either honestly, or a a guise) that the firearms endanger the public of their jurisdictions.

Would execution be the best punishment to curtail violations of such enactments?

Owning or driving an automobile is equivalent to owning or carrying a firearm. Using it responsibly is not a crime nor a danger to the public.

Stop trying to use hyperbole to change the focus.

<edit> And I'd like both of you to explain why police officers should not be allowed to decide if something is dangerous enough to require the use of deadly force to stop it... and if not, how exactly WOULD you stop it. Convene a jury to decide on-the-spot???

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So if you pull a gun and start firing into a crowded shopping mall, we should not let an officer make the decision as to whether that situation is dangerous enough to require the use of deadly force to stop it? Seems pretty dumb to me... might as well have the guns taken away from police officers, since they're not equipped with the mental faculties required to make decisions about public safety and life and death.

But a "jury of 12" magically omnipotent people who weren't there and did not witness the event are.

How is shooting a gun into a crowded shopping mall in any way the equivalent of driving fast? As for your second comment in the first paragraph... for some of them.. I would agree.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
How is shooting a gun into a crowded shopping mall in any way the equivalent of driving fast? As for your second comment in the first paragraph... for some of them.. I would agree.

We aren't talking about driving fast, are we? Did I say speeding should be a capital offense?

Nope.

Try again.

Latest posts

Top Bottom